Shocker (hand gesture)
The shocker, also known colloquially as "two in the pink, one in the stink" is a hand gesture with a sexual connotation. The ring finger and thumb are curled or bent down while the other fingers are extended. The index and middle fingers are kept together (touching) and the back of the hand faces outwards (away from the gesturer). The gesture refers to the act of inserting the index and middle fingers into a vagina and the little finger into the receiver's anus, hence the "shock".
Because the athletic teams of the Wichita State University are nicknamed "the Shockers" (short for "Wheatshockers," an unrelated term), fans at basketball games, use a modified form of the gesture by extending the thumb. The University of Houston has a traditional wave called the "Cougar Paw," used at athletic and academic events to show school pride, that is similar to the gesture as well. On her 2006 album Impeach My Bush, Canadian electroclash artist Peaches (musician) outlined the gesture as "thumbs up, fingers out, pull back" in the song "Rock the Shocker". The Glam Metal band Steel Panther released a track on their 2009 album Feel the Steel named "The Shocker". Fans of Arizona State University use a similar gesture (with separated index and middle fingers) to symbolize a pitchfork, as their school's mascot is the Sun Devil.
In 2011, a book entitled The Shocker – Two in the Pink, One in the Stink was published. The book explores the shocker as an urban legend and includes 365 variations on the "two in the pink..." rhyme. In March 2011, Australian Football League player Jarryd Blair was seen making what was thought to be the gesture in the Collingwood team photo after their NAB Cup Grand Final win, leading to a brief media outcry and formal apology.
- Borden, Christine (2007-01-23). "Not-So-Shocking News". The Daily Californian. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- McKinnis, Alexis (April 3, 2008). "advice – alexis on the sexes – Shock and ow – The shocking truth about a much-hyped sexual gesture.". Edition: METRO, Section: VITA.MN. Star Tribune: Newspaper of the Twin Cities (Minneapolis, MN). p. 35. Record Number: 080403alexis0403vita. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- Brody, Chad (February 2011). The Shocker – Two in the Pink, One in the Stink. shockerbook.com. p. 13. ISBN 978-0-615-45163-3.
- Hume, Mike. "Picking Splinters March's Ls & Ws", online issue for March 23–March 29, 2006; retrieved November 29, 2007.
- Sterger, Jenn. "Shockers and Ducks ... Oh my!", Sports Illustrated. February 14, 2007; retrieved November 29, 2007.
- "The Shocker Book on Amazon".
- Pierik, Jon (March 16, 2011). "Magpie apologises over Grand Final hand gesture". The Age (Melbourne).
- Every different name of 'The Shocker' known to man
- The Strange Case of the Hanover High Shocker
- The Shocker – Two in the Pink, One in the Stink Book