Shonali Bose with Aamir Khan at the DVD Launch of Amu
June 3, 1965 |
|Residence||New Delhi, India|
Shonali Bose (Bengali: সোনালী বোস) (born June 3, 1965) is an Indian film director, screenwriter and producer. She is known for her film Amu which explores the suppressed history of the genocidal attacks on Sikhs in Delhi in 1984.
Shonali hails from Calcutta, and grew up in Bombay and Delhi. She has been an activist since her student days at Miranda House College. She earned her Bachelors of Arts degree from Delhi University and Masters Degree in Political Science from Columbia University, New York. She was also involved in theater as an actor throughout school and college.
Shonali had worked for a year as an organizer at the National Lawyers Guild, and directed live community television in Manhattan before embarking on the MFA Directing Program at UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television. Her short narrative films The Gendarme Is Here and Undocumented and feature-length documentary Lifting the Veil have screened in festivals and other venues throughout the world.
Amu is her feature film debut which she had written, produced and directed. Amu released in India in January 2005  receiving popular and critical acclaim. It then went on to premier at the Berlin and Toronto Film Festivals amongst many other international festivals. Bose has won 7 national and international awards for Amu including the FIPRESCI Critics Award, National Film Award for Best Feature Film in English and Gollapudi Srinivas Award for best first-time director.
In 2012 she co-wrote Chittagong, directed by her former husband Bedabrata Pain which is about the Chittagong armoury raid of 1930. The film stars Manoj Bajpai as Masterda Surya Sen. Her 2014 film, Margarita, with a Straw starring Kalki Koechlin, as a girl with cerebral palsy was premeiered at 2014 Toronto Film Festival.The script won the Best Script award at the Sundance Festival Writer’s lab. 
- Amu - 2005 (Producer, Director, writer)
- Chittagong - 2012 (co-producer, co-writer, Assistant director)
- Margarita, with a Straw - 2014 (writer, director, producer)
- "'Amu', a film by Shonali Bose". Institute of Race Relations. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "Amu (2005) - Release Info". IMDB. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "FIPRESCI - festival awards 2005". FIPRESCI. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- Bose, Shonali (2004). Amu : a novel. New Delhi: Penguin Books. ISBN 0-14-303232-1.
- "Indo-American Arts council, Inc.". Indo-American Arts council. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- Roy, Sandip. "Real life RDB: the Chittagong story". Telegraph Kolkata. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "Margarita, with a Straw". TIFF. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Geety Sahgal. "Kalki Koechlin plays a girl afflicted with cerebral palsy in Margarita With A Straw". April 24, 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- IIT Foundation (2007-07-22). "IIT Foundation [ "AMU", an award winning film by a KGP Alumnus — Releasing in San Francisco ]". Iitfoundation.org. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- "52nd National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. p. 82-83. Retrieved Mar 21, 2013.