Shoot the Moon
|Shoot the Moon|
French Theatrical Poster
|Directed by||Alan Parker|
|Produced by||Alan Marshall
Edgar J. Scherick
|Written by||Bo Goldman|
|Edited by||Gerry Hambling|
|Running time||124 minutes|
Shoot the Moon is a 1982 drama film directed by Alan Parker, written by Bo Goldman and starring Albert Finney and Diane Keaton, in their Golden Globe-nominated performances. The film also features Peter Weller, Karen Allen and Dana Hill. The film was entered into the 1982 Cannes Film Festival.
The marriage of Faith and George Dunlap is in trouble. From a distance, it seemed to be the picture of domestic bliss, a successful author with a beautiful wife and four daughters living in a converted farmhouse that he refurbished. But a crisis is growing at home.
George has a mistress, Sandy, and wants to be with her. The trouble is, he doesn't want Faith to be with anyone else in return. George is searching for the courage to leave home, but hates the thought of his family and possessions in another man's hands.
Handsome Frank Henderson is hired by Faith to build a tennis court. It is not clear whether she develops true feelings for Frank or simply wishes to even the score with her unfaithful husband, but for whatever reason, Faith begins an affair.
Their daughters resent George for breaking up the family. Faith presents a false facade, planning to attend an evening in George's honor as he accepts a book award, but George grows increasingly irrational as the women in his life prepare for life without him.
At the time of its release, the film received international acclaim and was embraced by America's most respected film critics:
- Nominee Best Actress - Golden Globes (Diane Keaton)
- Nominee Best Actor - Golden Globes (Albert Finney)
- Nominee Best Actor - BAFTA (Albert Finney)
- Nominee Palme d'Or - Cannes Film Festival (Alan Parker)
- Nominee Best Actress - National Society of Film Critics (Diane Keaton)
- Nominee Best Actress - New York Film Critics Circle (Diane Keaton)
- Nominee Best Original Screenplay - Writers Guild of America (Bo Goldman)
|Albert Finney||George Dunlap|
|Diane Keaton||Faith Dunlap|
|Peter Weller||Frank Henderson|
|Dana Hill||Sherry Dunlap|
|Viveka Davis||Jill Dunlap|
|Tracey Gold||Marianne Dunlap|
|Tina Yothers||Molly Dunlap|
- Shoot the Moon at the Internet Movie Database
- Shoot the Moon at the TCM Movie Database
- Shoot the Moon at Rotten Tomatoes
- Shoot the Moon at Box Office Mojo