Shooting Stars Award
The Shooting Stars Award is annually presented to ten young European actors at the Berlin International Film Festival. It was introduced in 1998 by European Film Promotion (EFP), a pan-European network of film promotion and export organisations, and is supported by the MEDIA Programme of the EU. The Shooting Stars initiative promotes young European acting talent and their careers and thus European film.
The up-and-coming actors are presented with the Shooting Stars Award at the Berlin International Film Festival. In 2012, the award was donated by main sponsor TESiRO, a Chinese jewellery company. During the festival, the Shooting Stars are presented to the film industry (meetings with international casting directors, film directors and producers) as well as to the public and the international media (press conference, photo shootings).
Based on certain criteria, each EFP member organisations can nominate an actor/actress who is then presented to an international jury of experts who select the ten Shooting Stars, based on the actor's performance in his or her most recent films. The jury members for 2012 are Thure Lindhardt, Danish actor and former Shooting Star himself, Academy Award-winning Dutch director Marleen Gorris, German Casting Director Simone Bär, Romanian producer Ada Solomon and British film critic Matt Mueller.
Some of today's most renowned actors started their career receiving the Shooting Stars Award, among them Daniel Craig, Oscar-Winner Rachel Weisz, Daniel Brühl, Moritz Bleibtreu, Johanna Wokalek, Nicolas Cazalé, Nina Hoss, Ludivine Sagnier, Elio Germano, Maria Bonnevie and David Kross.
List of Award Winners:
- www.shooting-stars.eu Official Website
- "European acting talents in the limelight at the Berlinale". SWISS FILMS. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "European Film Promotion unveils 2012 Shooting Stars longlist". Screen International. 2011-12-08. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- "EFP reports on two busy years". UK MEDIA Team. 2008-07-23. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "A new concept for new Shooting Stars". Cineuropa. 2007-11-05. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "Shooting Stars fills jury box". Variety. 2011-11-14. Retrieved 2011-12-12.