Shootout at Wadala
|Shootout at Wadala|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sanjay Gupta|
|Produced by||Sanjay Gupta
|Screenplay by||Sanjay Gupta
|Story by||Sanjay Gupta
|Based on||Dongri to Dubai
by Hussain Zaidi
|Narrated by||John Abraham|
|Music by||Anu Malik
Anand Raj Anand
Meet Bros Anjaan
Sanjay F. Gupta
|Editing by||Bunty Nagi|
|Studio||Balaji Motion Pictures|
|Distributed by||White Feather Films (Worldwide)|
|Running time||150 minutes|
|Budget||260 million (US$4.3 million)|
|Box office||546.4 million (US$9.1 million)
Shootout at Wadala is a 2013 Bollywood crime thriller film written and directed by Sanjay Gupta. It is a prequel to the 2007 hit Shootout at Lokhandwala, and it is the second instalment of the Shootout series. It is based on the book Dongri to Dubai. The film features John Abraham, Anil Kapoor, Kangna Ranaut, Tusshar Kapoor, Manoj Bajpai and Sonu Sood in lead roles. The film dramatises the first-ever registered encounter by Mumbai police, where gangster Manya Surve was shot dead, which took place at the junction next to Dr. Ambedkar college, Wadala, Mumbai on 11 January 1982.
The film was expected to release on 1 May 2013, but was postponed, and release on 3 May 2013, the date which marks 100 years in Bollywood.The film released with positive reviews from critics and good box-office collections.The film was declared a "hit" by Box-Office India after its 3-week run.
In a police van, ACP Afaaque Baaghran (Anil Kapoor) listens to the story which is narrated by a gangster Manya Surve (John Abraham)who is grievously injured with a bullet-riddled body. Manya Surve is small street gangster who thinks he isn't a "chutiya" after a brawl with Dilawar.
Manohar Surve alias Manya Surve, is a decent student of Kirti College, Dadar. He is equally good in studies and in nature, who had just finished his exams even whilst Vidya is trying to distract him for answers. Vidya asks him why he doesn't give the answers and Manya replies that even though they are in love he will not do anything stupid to stop him from being successful. Vidya understands and persuades Manya to take her to meet his parents. Whilst presenting his girlfriend Vidya Joshi (Kangna Ranaut) to his mother to discuss their marriage, Manya is interrupted by his older brother Bhargav Surve. Bhargav is a gangster who is after an underworld don named Nitesh Dhamne (Ranjeet).
Soon enough, Bhargav is attacked by Bhaskar's goons, and beaten up. Manya jumps in to save him. While Manya Surve clutches one of the goons, Bhargav stabs the goon and he dies on the spot. On the day of Manya's exam results, before he can discover his grades, Manya and his brother are arrested by Insp. Ambolkar (Raju Kher) and end up in Yerawada Prison. In prison, another convict named Munir (Tusshar Kapoor) saves Manya from being attacked by a goon named Potya, during lunch time. In this assault, Bhargav is killed. Munir befriends Manya and another convict named Veera. Veera trains Manya to become stronger. Manya trains and then eventually is challenged by Potya. Manya takes the lead by staying in front of Potya during the whole fight. Soon enough, Potya attacks him from behind and beats Manya up, to which Manya responds by stabbing Potya to his death.
Later on, both Manya and Munir escape from the prison while they were working on a railway track and try to join hands with two brothers who rule Mumbai's deals. The first brother, Zubair Imtiaz Haksar (Manoj Bajpai) is cool, who is impressed by Manya. However, the second brother, Dilawar (Sonu Sood), disapproves of Manya and dislikes him. After this act Manya forms his own gang which consists of him, Munir, Veera and Gyancho, a sharpshooter, brought by Munir. Soon enough, Manya himself challenges the two Haksar brothers, and a chilling story follows, with Manya finishing off Bhaskar (the gangster who had him and his brother arrested), Manya meeting up with Vidya again, and being revealed that at the start, Manya Surve had actually received 78% distinction in his exams.
- Anil Kapoor as ACP Afaaque Baaghran (character based on Issac Bagwan)
- John Abraham as Manohar Arjun Surve (Manya Surve)
- Kangna Ranaut as Vidya Joshi
- Tusshar Kapoor as Sheikh Munir
- Manoj Bajpai as Zubair Imtiaz Haksar (Shabir Ibrahim Kaskar)
- Sonu Sood as Dilawar Imtiaz Haksar (Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar)
- Akbar Khan as Haji Maqsood (Haji Mastan) (cameo)
- Ronit Roy as Inspector Raja Ambat (based on Raja Tambat)
- Mahesh Manjrekar as Inspector Bhinde (based on Madhukar Zende)
- Siddhanth Kapoor as Gyancho
- Ranjeet as Nitesh Dhamne (gangster)
- Jackie Shroff as Police Commissioner (Cameo)
- Raju Kher as Inspector Ambolkar
- Arif Zakaria as Sadiq (news reporter)
- Chetan Hansraj as Bakhiya
- Karan Patel as Jamal (Bhaskar's bodyguard)
- Sanjeev Chadda as Veera
- Vineet Sharma as Bhargav Surve
- Sunny Leone as Laila in the item number "Laila" (role inspired from Shabir's girlfriend Chitra)
- Priyanka Chopra in the item number "Babli Badmaash"
- Sophie Choudry in the item number "Aala Re Aala"
Director Sanjay Gupta knew the consequences of using Dawood Ibrahim's real name while shooting the film, however carried on with Sonu Sood being addressed as 'Dilawar Imtiaz' in the film. On 27 January 2013, Balaji Motion Pictures uploaded a new version of the theatrical trailer, and trimmed nearly every single dialogue from the film off. The character of Dawood Ibrahim is only seen for three seconds in the new trailer, to avoid any hassles. Also, the character names have been changed as well, except for Abraham's character, whose name remains the same in the film. The film received an A certificate for its violence and obscene language.
|Shootout at Wadala|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||13 June 2013|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Anu Malik chronology|
|Meet Bros Anjjan chronology|
|Mustafa Zahid chronology|
|Anand Raj Anand chronology|
|Singles from Shootout at Wadala|
The music of Shootout at Wadala is composed by Anu Malik, Anand Raj Anand, Meet Bros Anjjan and Mustafa Zahid. Anu Malik was asked to compose for two songs for this film which became instant chartbusters.
|1.||"Aala Re Aala"||Anu Malik||Sunidhi Chauhan, Mika Singh||5:44|
|2.||"Laila"||Anand Raaj Anand||Mika Singh||3:36|
|3.||"Babli Badmaash"||Anu Malik||Sunidhi Chauhan||4:27|
|4.||"Ek Din Ke Liye"||Anu Malik||Sunidhi Chauhan & Anu Malik||0:48|
|5.||"Yeh Junoon"||Mustafa Zahid||Mustafa Zahid||4:52|
|6.||"Aye Manya"||Meet Bros Anjjan||Adnan Sami, Meet Bros Anjjan & Shaan||4:56|
|7.||"Goli"||Meet Bros Anjjan||Meet Bros Anjjan, Sudesh Bhosle, Anil Kapoor & John Abraham||4:08|
|8.||"Babli Badmaash (Remix By Gourav Das Gupta & Roshan Balu)"||Anu Malik||Sunidhi Chauhan & Anu Malik||4:47|
|9.||"Aala Re Aala (Remix By Gourav Das Gupta & Roshan Balu)"||Anu Malik||Sunidhi Chauhan, Mika Singh & Anu Malik||5:02|
|10.||"Laila (Remix By Gourav Das Gupta & Roshan Balu)"||Anand Raaj Anand||Mika Singh & Anand Raj Anand||3:27|
|11.||"Yeh Junoon (Remix By Mayur Sahani)"||Mustafa Zahid||Mustafa Zahid||4:01|
|12.||"Goli (Remix By Mayur Sahani)"||Meet Bros Anjjan||Meet Bros Anjjan, Sudesh Bhosle, Anil Kapoor, John Abraham||3:38|
The film received mixed reception from critics and audiences.
- The ratings for the film provided by the reviewers have been tabulated. Below the table lies a collection of excerpts from the reviews, which can be matched to the respective rating as given in the table by seeing the source.
|Times of India|
|The Indian Express|
Shootout at Wadala had an opening of around 65% occupancy and went on to collect 101.9 million (US$1.7 million) on first day. After five days of release, the film had amassed a collection of 268.5 million (US$4.5 million). The two-week domestic distributor share is 255.0 million approx. The final total came out to be 546.4 million (US$9.1 million)
Director Sanjay Gupta has recently stated his plans on making a third instalment to the franchise. He has also stated that he will restart his long overdue movie Alibaug, starring Sanjay Dutt, and turn it into the third sequel of the Shootout series. Also, actors Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham have been rumoured to star alongside each other. Abraham will portray real encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar. The project is currently untitled, however has been reported to be an 'Epic revenge saga'.
- "SHOOTOUT AT WADALA (18)". British Board of Film Classification. 29 April 2013.
- . Boxofficeindia.com. 18 May 2013 http://www.boxofficeindia.com/boxnewsdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=5670&nCat=. Missing or empty
- "Shootout at Wadala Cast & Crew". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Shootout at Wadala: Guns, girls and goggles". The Hindu.
- "One dead, one caught". Hindustan Times. 22 October 2006.
- "Playing Hard to Get". OPEN Magazine.
- "Bollywoodhungama Review". Bollywoodhungama. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "TOI review". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Shootout at Wadala Review". http://www.koimoi.com. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Zee News review". Zee News. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Bollywood Portal | Videos". Has2BFilmy.
- "Film Review: Watch Shootout at Wadala at a single screen to experience its true flavor". http://www.dnaindia.com. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Shootout at Wadala review: A paisa-vasool entertainer!". http://www.bollywoodlife.com. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "NDTV Movies review". NDTV. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Yahoo Movies review". Yahoo!. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "IBNLive review". IBN. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Indian Express review". The Indian Express. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Rediff.com review". Rediff.com. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Shootout at Wadala Has Good Opening Bombay Talkies Is Poor". Box Office India. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Shootout at Wadala First Day Territorial Breakdown". Box Office India. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- Koimoi.com Team (9 May 2013). "SAW Beats Matru, Chashme Baddoor & Jolly LLB | Koimoi Top 10 – 2013 Movies List". Koimoi.com.
- . Boxofficeindia.com http://www.boxofficeindia.com/boxnewsdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=5676&nCat=. Missing or empty
- "Shootout at Wadala Two Weeks Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- . Boxofficeindia.com. 8 May 2013 http://www.boxofficeindia.com/boxdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=5648&nCat=. Missing or empty
- "Top Ten Overseas Grossers 2013 upto August". Box Office India. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- Official website
- Shootout at Wadala at the Internet Movie Database
- Shootout at Wadala at Bollywood Hungama