Shoots and Ladders (song)
|"Shoots and Ladders"|
|Single by Korn|
|from the album Korn|
|Recorded||1994 at Indigo Ranch Studios, Malibu, California|
|Korn singles chronology|
Music and structure
The title is a mockery of American children's game Chutes and Ladders (also known in the UK as Snakes and Ladders), with the song's lyrics mostly consisting of nursery rhymes. It is the first Korn song to feature bagpipes. The song uses the following nursery rhymes in its lyrics:
- "Ring Around the Rosie"
- "One, Two, Buckle My Shoe"
- "London Bridge Is Falling Down"
- "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep"
- "This Old Man"
- "Mary Had a Little Lamb"
"It was written because all these little kids sing these nursery rhymes and they don't know what they originally meant. Everyone is so happy when singing 'Ring Around the Rosie' but it is about the Black Plague. All of them have these evil stories behind them." – Jonathan Davis
The video for "Shoots and Ladders" was directed by McG and shows clips of Korn performing in front of an energetic crowd, similar to "Blind". Korn is also seen performing in front of fake castle-like buildings. Munky can be seen with duct tape over his mouth coming out of a field of weeds and in the beginning, Jonathan can be seen tied up, hanging upside down. Other unknown people, who are believed to be friends of the band, appear in various clips as well. The video premiered in October 1995. "Shoots and Ladders" was filmed at Camelot Park in Bakersfield, California.
- Jonathan Davis - Vocals, Bagpipes
- Munky - Electric guitar
- Head - Electric guitar
- Fieldy - Bass
- David Silveria - Drums
- Produced by Ross Robinson
- Eddy Schreyer – Mastering
- Stephen Stickler – Photography
- Jay Papke/Dante Ariola – Art direction and design
- Chuck Johnson – Engineering and mixing
US Radio Promo
- "Shoots and Ladders" – 5:22
UK Radio Promo
- "Shoots and Ladders" (Hip Hop Remix) – 4:07
- "Shoots and Ladders" (Hyper Remix) – 2:32
- "Shoots and Ladders" (Industrial Remix) – 3:50
- "Shoots and Ladders" (Industrial Instrumental) – 3:59
- "Korn - Shoots And Ladders (CD) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Small 1998, p. 16.
- Arvizu 2009, p. 69.
- "Indigo Ranch Studios - CDs and Vinyl at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Thomas, Stephen (1994-10-11). "Korn - Korn : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Korn – Korn : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- Strong, Martin; Peel, John (forward) (2004). The Great Rock Discography (Paperback) (7th ed.). New York City: Canongate US. p. 853. ISBN 978-1-84195-615-2.
- Arvizu 2009, pp. 70–71.
- "Korn Lyrics". Korn Locker.
- "GEAR". Kornseed.cro.net. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Korn - Shoots and Ladders". VEVO. October 25, 2009.
- "Korn". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Shoots and Ladders (track listing). Korn. Epic Records. 1995. ESK 7116.
- "Shoots & Ladders US Radio Promo (ESK 7116)". Korn.simpol.net. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Shoots & Ladders 10" UK Vinyl Promo (XPR 3028)". Korn.simpol.net. Retrieved 2013-02-18.