|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|State||Jammu and Kashmir|
|• Total||612.87 km2 (236.63 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2,057 m (6,749 ft)|
|• Density||340/km2 (890/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||950:1000 ♂/♀|
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2012)|
Shopian district derives its name from its chief town, Shopian, about which Frederic Drew, while justifying the basis of its nomenclature, states that it is the distortion of word “SHAH-PAYAN”, i.e. royal stay.The local people also hold the view that Shopian was earlier named as "SHIN-VAN" meaning the snow forest. However the Shias have a different view, and they believe it was earlier inhabited by Shias so it is "SHIN- VAN" that is The Forest of Shias . Shopian is an ancient town of Kashmir and had an importance due to it being situated on the ancient imperial route, commonly known as Mughal Road, which connects Lahore and Srinagar. Shopian was one out of six Wazarat Headquarters in Kashmir from 1872-1892 A.D.
Shopian Town - the district headquarters - is 51 kilometres (32 mi) from Srinagar and 20 kilometres (12 mi) from Pulwama at an elevation of 2,146 metres (7,041 ft) above the sea level. It has decades-old road connectivity with Anantnag as well as Kulgam.
Colleges and schools
- Degree College Shopian
- Govt. Boys Hr. Sec. School
- Govt. Girls Hr. Sec. School
- Mohammadiya Institute
- Shah i hamdan school
- Green land edu instt
- A-One Academy of Applied technology (DOEACC Accredited computer institute For O-LEVEL) Batpora Shopian Ph No.01933-261254
- Brilliant Public High School
- Geographicus Public School, Shopian
- Skylark public school
- Maktabia Islami public school
- Spring dales public school
- Eternal success school
- Rainbow international
- Mayida Institute of Computer Science Batapora Shopian
Besides this there is a Community Information Centre (CIC) at Block Headquarters Gagren which provides ICT facilities to the local populace as well as to the Govt.
As of 2001[update] India census, Shupiyan Town had a population of 12,396. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Shupiyan has an average literacy rate of 59%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 67%, and female literacy is 51%. In Shupiyan, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Shupiyan
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.