Shortest tennis match records
This article covers records concerning the shortest ever tennis matches both in terms of number of games and duration in terms of time. Matches affected by a retirement or default are not listed.
- Francisco Clavet set an ATP tournament record in the first round of the 2001 Shanghai when he defeated Shan Jiang in 25 minutes, 6–0, 6-0.
- The 1881 Wimbledon final in which William Renshaw defeated John Hartley, 6–0, 6–1, 6–1, lasted 36 minutes.
- Fred Perry defeated Baron Gottfried von Cramm, 6-1, 6–1, 6–0, in the 1936 Wimbledon final in 40 minutes.
- In the 1922 Wimbledon final Suzanne Lenglen defeated Molla Mallory, 6–2, 6–0, in 23 minutes. Some accounts state that the match was over in 20 minutes.
- In the 1925 Wimbledon final Lenglen defeated Joan Fry in 25 minutes, 6–2, 6–0.
- = winner of the match also won the tournament.
There have been at least 8 best-of-five-set matches which have lasted 18 games (6–0, 6–0, 6–0) in the Open era. This is the shortest possible length for a best-of-five-set men's singles match without retirements or defaults.
|1968||French Open||First round||Nikola Špear||Daniel Contet|
|1981||Davis Cup||Play Off||Thierry Tulasne||Shinichi Sakamoto|
|1987||French Open||Second round||Karel Nováček||Eduardo Bengoechea|
|1987||Wimbledon||First round||Stefan Edberg||Stefan Eriksson|
|1987||US Open||First round||Ivan Lendl||Barry Moir|
|1993||French Open||Second round||Sergi Bruguera||Thierry Champion|
|2001||Wimbledon||Qualifying||Todd Woodbridge||Johan Ortegren|
|2011||Davis Cup||Second round||Andy Murray||Laurent Bram|
In women's tennis, matches featuring a minimum number of games are a more frequent occurrence. The following are women's Grand Slam singles matches in the Open era which have lasted 12 games (6–0, 6–0) without retirements or defaults.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2012)|
|2006||US Open||First Round|| Květa Peschke
| Sofia Arvidsson
|2007||Australian Open||Quarterfinals|| Chan Yung-jan
| Ashley Harkleroad
|2009||Wimbledon Championships||Third Round|| Serena Williams
| Yan Zi
- 10 Years of Wimbledon, by Lance Tingay (Guinness Superlatives, 1977)
- "Fred Perry". wimbledon.org. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- "Miss Smith, Scott Win Net Titles". The Baltimore Sun. 1963-08-05. Retrieved 2011-01-18. (subscription required)
- Herman, Robin (1988-06-05). "Tennis; Graf Shuts Out Zvereva to Gain French Open Title". The New York Times (Paris, France). Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- "Clijsters steamrollers Safina". Sky Sports. 2011-01-18. Retrieved 2011-01-17.