Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss
|Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss|
Lonstein Gruss in 2009
May 29, 1975 |
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||George Washington University
University of California, Los Angeles
|Spouse(s)||Joshua Gruss (m. 2003)|
|Children||Sienna (b. 2005), Angelica (b. 2012), Joseph Colby (b. 2012)|
Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss is an American fashion designer and the founder and creative director of fashion label, Shoshanna, which was launched in 1998.
Shoshanna Lonstein was born and raised in Manhattan, New York. She attended Nightingale-Bamford School for girls in New York City's Upper East Side, graduating in 1993. She began college at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. but, in 1994, transferred to the University of California, Los Angeles. In 1997, she graduated from UCLA with a double bachelors degree in history and art history. Upon graduation, Shoshanna decided to explore her interests in fashion by starting at the ground level, working at a lingerie factory.
With a loan from her father, Zach Lonstein, chief executive officer of Infocrossing, she started her clothing company in 1998 with the mission to design a clothing line that appealed to different body types.
In the Spring of 2001, Shoshanna launched her revolutionary swimwear collection, which was the first in the contemporary marketplace to be sold as separates with lingerie inspired sizing, and after the birth of her daughter in 2005, she introduced the Baby Girl line of children's swimwear.
Gruss partnered with Save the Garment Center and Century 21 Department Stores in February 2014 to design a one-of-a-kind I Love NY T-shirt with all proceeds directly benefitting Save the Garment Center.
For summer 2014, Gruss partnered with Club Monaco to launch the retailer's first-ever designer swimwear collaboration. The Shoshanna for Club Monaco capsule collection featured an assortment of bikini, one-piece and rash guard styles.
Gruss served as a Piperlime guest contributor when the Gap Inc. brand refreshed its website in fall 2014.
Since launching her label in 1998, Gruss has participated in Super Saturday, the designer sale that benefits the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.
While still a 17-year-old high school student, she came to public attention by dating the much older Jerry Seinfeld, who was still starring in his eponymous sitcom. They dated for approximately four years, from 1993 to 1997, before the relationship ended. She transferred from GW to UCLA in part to be with Seinfeld and cited missing New York City and constant press coverage as reasons for the relationship ending.
On May 10, 2003, Lonstein married Joshua Gruss, son of financier Martin Gruss. Joshua Gruss is a Partner at Gruss & Co., a private investment firm based in New York City, and CEO of Round Hill Music. They reside in New York City and have three children, a daughter, Sienna, born in 2005 and twins, Angelica and Joseph Colby, born in 2012.
Gruss is a Trustee of the Nightingale-Bamford School and also a member of their Alumnae Board Committee. Gruss is a founding chair of the Sesame Workshop family leadership committee and a founding member of The Rockefeller University’s Parents and Science Steering Committee. She was Vice Chairman of the associate committee of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the MSKCC Children’s Committee from 2012-2014.
- "Shoshanna Lonstein." Biography in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 10 Feb. 2011.
- "About Shoshanna". Shoshanna.com. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Shoshanna". Shoshanna Inc. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss Stars in Judith Ripka Ads". WWD.COM. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "Shoshanna Gruss and Judith Ripka Launching Shoshanna's Fashion Jewelry Essentials on QVC". StyleList.com (AOL Inc.). Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "Designers Shoshanna Gruss and Charlotte Ronson Team Up for Cute Beachwear Line". People.com (Time Inc.). Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "Elizabeth Arden Appoints Shoshanna Gruss as Brand’s First-Ever Style Director". ElizabethArden.com. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "Clothes for a Cause: These I Love NY Shirts Do More Than Just Look Good". InStyle.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Shoshanna Makes Waves with a Club Monaco Swimwear Collaboration". InStyle.com. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- "Piperlime Amps up Site". WWD.com. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss Talks Fashion Line, Super Saturday". Hamptons-Magazine.com. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "America’s Next Top Model: If You Can’t Make It Here, You Can’t Make It Anywhere » Design Scene - Fashion, Photography, Style & Design". Design Scene. 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- [dead link]
- "Filling a Gap in the Market". Leaders Magazine Online. July 3, 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "Associated Committee". The Society of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.