Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss
|Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss|
Lonstein Gruss in 2009
May 29, 1975 |
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||George Washington University
University of California, Los Angeles
|Spouse(s)||Joshua Gruss (m. 2003)|
|Children||Sienna (b. 2005)|
Shoshanna Lonstein was born in Manhattan, New York. She attended Nightingale-Bamford School for girls in New York City's Upper East Side, graduating in 1993. She began college at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. but, in 1994, transferred to the University of California, Los Angeles. In 1997, she graduated from UCLA with a double bachelors degree in history and art history.
With a loan from her father, Zach Lonstein, chief executive officer of Infocrossing, she started her clothing company in 1998. In 2005, after the birth of her daughter, Gruss began designing and marketing children's swimwear.
While still a 17-year-old high school student, she came to public attention by dating the much older Jerry Seinfeld, who was still starring in his eponymous sitcom. They dated for approximately four years, from 1993 to 1997, before the relationship ended. She transferred to UCLA in part to be with Seinfeld and cited missing New York City and constant press coverage as reasons for the relationship ending. Spy magazine mocked their age disparity by referring to Lonstein as Seinfeld's "girlfriend and legal voter."
On May 10, 2003, Lonstein married Joshua Gruss, son of financier Martin Gruss. Joshua Gruss is a Partner at Gruss & Co., a private investment firm based in New York City, and CEO of Round Hill Music. They reside in New York City and have one daughter, Sienna, who was born in 2005.
Gruss is a Trustee of the Nightingale-Bamford School and also a member of their Alumnae Board Committee. Gruss is a founding chair of the Sesame Workshop family leadership committee and a founding member of The Rockefeller University’s Parents and Science Steering Committee. She is a Vice Chairman of the associate committee of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the MSKCC Children’s Committee.
In popular culture
- "Shoshanna Lonstein." Biography in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 10 Feb. 2011.
- "Shoshanna". Shoshanna Inc. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss Stars in Judith Ripka Ads". WWD.COM. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "Shoshanna Gruss and Judith Ripka Launching Shoshanna's Fashion Jewelry Essentials on QVC". StyleList.com (AOL Inc.). Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "Designers Shoshanna Gruss and Charlotte Ronson Team Up for Cute Beachwear Line". People.com (Time Inc.). Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "Filling a Gap in the Market". Leaders Magazine Online. July 3, 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-12.