|Launched||September 7, 2001|
|Owned by||Shaw Media
(Showcase Television Inc.)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Formerly called||Showcase Diva (2001–2012)|
|Bell TV||Channel 335 (SD)
Channel 1707 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 615 (SD)
81 / 581 (HD)
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|FibreOP||Channel 561 (SD)
Channel 516 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 335 (SD)
Channel 1335 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 244 (SD)
Channel 1244 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 221 (SD)|
|SaskTel||Channel 81 (SD)|
In November 2000, Showcase Television Inc., a division of Alliance Atlantis, was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a television channel called Romance Television, described as "a national English-language Category 2 specialty television service devoted to romance. Programming will include relationship- themed game shows and magazine style programs featuring romantic vacation resorts. Other programs will explore romantic moments in people's lives, as well as classic romantic feature films, epic mini-series and made-for-television movies."
The channel was launched on September 7, 2001 as Showcase Diva, a spin-off of another Alliance Atlantis television channel, Showcase. Programming consisted of primarily television dramas and films.
On January 18, 2008, a joint venture between Canwest and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners known as CW Media, acquired control of Showcase Diva through its purchase of Alliance Atlantis' broadcasting assets, which were placed in a trust in August 2007.
On May 30, 2012, it was announced that Showcase Diva would be rebranded as a Canadian version of the American channel Lifetime on August 27, 2012, through a brand licensing agreement with the U.S. channel's parent company A+E Networks. The rebrand would result in the addition of more reality series, talk shows and other original series from Lifetime U.S. to the channel's films and television dramas.
On May 29, 2013, Shaw Media launched Lifetime HD, a high definition simulcast of the standard definition feed. It is currently available on Eastlink, Shaw Direct, Shaw Cable, Bell Fibe TV, and Bell TV.
On April 24, 2014, Rogers Cable launched Lifetime HD a high definition simulated of the standard definition feed. It is now currently on channel 83 & 322
- Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition
- America's Most Wanted
- Army Wives
- The Client List
- Dance Moms
- Devious Maids
- Double Divas
- Drop Dead Diva
- Ex-Wives of Rock
- The Mistress
- Preachers' Daughters
- Pretty Wicked Moms
- Project Runway
- Under the Gunn
- Witches of East End
- Decision CRTC 2000-674 CRTC 2000-12-14
- Canwest Global receives final CRTC approval for acquisition of Alliance Atlantis CNW press release 2008-01-18
- Goldman's happy ending at CanWest The Globe and Mail 2010-05-03
- CanWest Completes Acquisition of Alliance Atlantis Investor Point 2007-08-15
- Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media
- CRTC approves Shaw’s purchase of the Canwest Global television properties
- Upfronts: Shaw adds more drama to Global and brings Lifetime to Canada Dose.ca 2012-05-30
- Shaw Media and A+E Networks extend partnership to bring to Canada two exciting channels in fall Shaw Media press release 2012-05-30
- "Shaw Media and A&E to Launch Two New Specialty Channels". Broadcaster Magazine. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2012.