Shreedeep Rayamajhi (activist)
Shreedeep Rayamajhi protesting against Political Deadlock of Nepal
February 16, 1983|
|Known for||Internet activism, Blogging, Journalism, Political activism |
Shreedeep Rayamajhi (Nepali:श्रीदिप रायमाझी) is a Nepalese online Activist and blogger of Nepal. He is well known locally for his continuous activism against political deadlock and Internet Standard of Nepal. He is a former reporter of Rising Nepal, a National Daily, and a regular news contributor on CNN iReport and GroundReport. Voicing issues of concern, he also writes about climate change and violence against women through his blogs, he is also a fellow graduate from the DiploFoundation on Internet Governance  and Climate Change.
Rayamajhi has been associated with journalism and political activism. He has regularly contributed on CNNireport and GroundReport on various local events, since 2008. He has been an outspoken blogger, writing on popular social and political matters, such as; Internet governance and political deadlock. Along with Nepal Unites, a young league of political activists, he has successfully organized events to appeal law makers to expedite Nepal's Constitution Drafting process. The rally attracted huge number of crowd, which was covered by News agencies, and was also filmed by IRIN NEWS.
He is one of the founding members of Internet Society Nepal and currently has been an executive member of Internet Society of Nepal, and regularly contributes through blogging or personal participation on the matters regarding Internet governance and law. He is also the Member of the Multi-stakeholder steering Group(MSG) of Asia Pacific Regional Internet Governance Forum(APrIGF). In December 2013, he was featured in Center for International Media Assistance(CIMA) Report:Profiles of Blogging: How do Bloggers Around the World Practise their Craft.
He participated in the Internet Governance Forum 2013, Bali Indonesia as a fellow of Internet Society. Similarly, he attended the Internet Governance Forum 2014 as an Internet Society (ISOC) Ambassador. In 2015 he was shortlisted by the Nepal Telecommunications Authority as a Consultant for ICT Development.
Physical assault and threat
Center for Human Rights and Democratic Studies (CEHURDES), a member of IFEX, condemned the attack by unidentified persons against Rayamajhi, on November 2010 for his reporting on political matters to local and international news agencies. He received numerous threatening emails in connection with his online reporting to CNNireport and GroundReport. CEHURDES also condemned the action of local law enforcement for lacking to provide security to local reporter, and arrest the perpetrator(s).
Participation and programs
- Participated in the Internet Governance Forum 2013
- Financial Sub Committee Head of Computer Association Nepal IT Conference
- Technical Committee Member for Web Competition 2013
Awards and Recognition
- Nominated as the Internet Society IGF 2014 Ambassador
- World Bank Blog quoted him as A fervent desire for change
- Center for International Media Assistance(CIMA)listed him in their Report:Profiles of Blogging: How do Bloggers Around the World Practise their Craft
- GroundReport has recognized his contributions on-site and awarded him twice for his two best articles, on December 2012.
- GroundReport Recognition Awards April 2011
- Climate Change Diplomacy
- Internet Governance Diplomacy
- Women Exploitation and Violence Issues
- Nepal Adventure and Tourism
- Food and Taste
- "Rayamajhi's Personal profile". Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "Namelist of Diplo IG Community".
- "Diplo Climate Change Profile".
- "Freelance journalism career of Rayamajhi". GroundReport. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "BBC Outrider's report on Nepal's current social matter". BBC Outrider (5Live). Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "EKantipur News coverage on "Come On Youth Stand Up Rally", of Nepal". Ekantipur.com. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "IRIN News short film on Nepal's political deadlock and protest". IRINNEWS.org. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- Nepali Law Makers postpone Constitution drafting process. Aljazeera English.
- "Executive members of Internet Society of Nepal (ISOC Nepal)". ISOC Nepal. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "Multi-stakeholder steering Group(MSG) of APrIGF".
- "Featured in CIMA's Report 2013" (PDF).
- "NTA Qualified Shortlisted Candidates for fiscal year 2071/72".
- "Activist Shreedeep Rayamajhi attacked and assaulted". International Freedom of Expression Exchange(IFEX). Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "CPJ's concern on assault on Activist Rayamajhi". International Committee to Protect Journalist(CPJ). Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "CPJ's concern on assault on Activist Rayamajhi". News Watch(India). Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "Attended Internet Governance Forum 2013 held at Nusa Dua Bali Indonesia from 22-25".
- "Head of Finance Sub Committee" (PDF).
- "Technical Committee Member".
- "IGF 2014 Ambassador".
- "A fervent desire for change".
- "Profiles of Blogging: How do Bloggers Around the World Practise their Craft" (PDF).
- "Recognition award 2012 for the best articles". GroundReport. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Recognition awards 2012". GroundReport. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Recognition Awards April 2011".
- "Climate Change Blog".
- "Internet Governance Blog".
- "Women Outcry Blog".
- "Travel Nepal Advisor Blog".
- "Foodiemandu Blog".
- IRIN News Short film Short Film on political deadlock of Nepal and ongoing protest
- CNNireport, CNNireport's coverage on assault on Nepali freelance Journalist
- Internet Society Testimonial for Internet Governance Forum IGF 2013 Indonesia Bali 
- Bryan Tan interviewing about internet uses and developments 
- Brief account of Rayamajhi's blogging career,
- Rayamajhi's Facebook page