Shri Ram College of Commerce
|Shri Ram College of Commerce|
|Motto||तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय
|Principal||Dr. Ashok Sehgal|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Shri Ram College of Commerce or SRCC is a constituent college of the University of Delhi, located in New Delhi, India. SRCC has been consistently ranked as one of the best among the elite colleges in India for higher studies in Commerce and Economics since its establishment. The college has been voted as the No.1 commerce college in India for three years in a row since 2011(based on reputation, academic input, student care, infrastructure, placement, perpetual rank and factual rank) by India Today and still maintains that rank(as of 2014). With extremely low acceptance rate, it is arguably one of the hardest colleges to get into. The college has produced a healthy number of notable alumni.
SRCC started awarding undergraduate degrees in 1932 and graduate degrees in 1948. It received its present name and form in 1951. Although SRCC has accepted female students since 1933, it became truly co-educational only in 1957. The institute started an International Business MBA equivalent course in 1999, called the "Post Graduate Diploma in Global Business Operations" (GBO).
History & Evolution
SRCC was established by educationist and industrialist, Sir Lala Shriram. Apart from SRCC, he also owned the erstwhile famous company, DCM Shriram. The institute was established first in Daryaganj and shifted to its present location in the North Campus, Delhi University only in 1957. The present location is 17 acres (69,000 m2) campus with large educational and recreational areas.
Courses and Departments
The institute is highly focussed into areas of expertise and offers courses in the commerce and economics streams only. The graduate programs offered are -
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts - Economics (Honours)
GLOBAL BUSINESS OPERATIONS Keeping in view the contemporary business environment, the program is shaped by an eminent faculty from the UniversiDelhi, further facilitated by the representatives of the top management of leading B-Schools and organizations whose ideas and actions influence the world over. GBO, with its equal emphasis on International Finance, Marketing and human resouses deals with international aspects Global Business Operations (GBO) Programme's main objective is to provide students with advanced practical expertise in areas such as Human Resources Management, Accounting and Finance, Trade, Transnational Marketing and Information Technology. The GBO Programme endeavours to combine insights from a number of different academic disciplines and functional areas. The course adopts a multi-dimensional and multi-disciplinary view of organisational objectives and in the process motivates students to appreciate the complex and rapidly changing environment. The seminars, case studies, role-plays, management games, quizzes and projects undertaken also emphasize this perspective.
The college has a Placement Cell that overlooks the placement process. Some prominent regular visitors include Citi Bank, Bain & Co., Google, Deloitte, PWC, KPMG, Godrej, Reckitt Benckiser, McKinsey & Co., Mitsubishi, Grand Thornton, Ernst & Young, Reliance Industries Ltd, Towers Watson, D.E. Shaw, American Express, Axis Bank, RSA Acturial Services, Education Initiatives, CRISIL, Stellar Properties and Essex Lake Consulting.
Student exchange program
Sciences Po and the Shri Ram College of Commerce of New Delhi have recently created a student exchange program. This new program brings the number of Sciences Po’s university partners in India to nine. 42 students from Sciences Po will spend their third year abroad in India in the 2010-11 academic year.
- Arun Jaitley, Union Finance,Corporate Affairs and Information & Broadcasting Affairs Minister
- Lieutenant General Rajan Bakhshi, senior Indian Army officer
- Rana Kapoor, banker, CEO, YES Bank
- Sanjeev Sanyal, economist, environmentalist
- Vijay Jolly, Senior Politician
- Anshu Jain, Co-CEO, Deutsche Bank
- Uday Punj, Founder, Punj Lloyd and Founder and Chairman, Chimes Group
- Bingu wa Mutharika, Former President of Malawi
- Lalit Suri, hotelier
- Manish Sabarwal, entrepreneur, Founder, Teamlease
- Gulshan Grover, Actor
- Rajat Sharma, Senior Journalist India TV
- Analjit Singh, Chairman, Max India ltd.
- Atul Punj, Chairman, Punj Lloyd
- Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, Filmmaker
- Anil Rai Gupta, Jt. Managing Director, Havells India Ltd.
- Dinesh Shakul Saxena, actor, politician
- R.S. Gupta, former Delhi Police chief
- Ruchir Sharma, Head of Global Emerging Markets Equity Team, Morgan Stanley
- Vijay Jain, CEO, ORRA
- Jitin Prasada,
- DK Sarraf,Chairman and Managing Director, Oil_and_Natural_Gas_Corporation
- Nimrat Kaur, actress
- 'Be A Global Manager',TNN, Nov 29, 2004 http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2004-11-29/education/27155355_1_international-business-programme-international-operations
- New agreement in India with Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi06/05/2010:
- "Nimrat Kaur: I am living my dream". Hindustan Times. September 27, 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-29.