|Origin||Kentish Town, London, England|
|Genres||Post-punk, new wave|
|Years active||1981–1989, 1992, 1999–present|
|Labels||Y Records, Arista, Island, Capitol|
|Past members||Dave Allen
Shriekback are an English rock band formed in 1981 in Kentish Town by Barry Andrews, formerly of XTC and League of Gentlemen (keyboards/synthesizers/vocals), and Dave Allen, formerly of the Gang of Four (bass), with Carl Marsh, formerly of Out On Blue Six (guitars/vocals) soon added to the line-up. They were joined by Martyn Barker on drums in 1983. Other members included: Luc Van Acker, Linda Nevill, Emma Burnham, Brian Nevill, Pedro Ortiz, Clare Hirst, Lu Edmunds, Wendy and Sara Partridge (from Electric Guitars), Steve Halliwell, Eve Moon, Ivan Julian, Mike Cozzi, and Jessica Palin/Jose Fina Cupido.
History and member changes
Shriekback was originally formed in 1981 by Barry Andrews, and Dave Allen, expanding to a trio with the addition of Carl Marsh. They enjoyed some success on the dance chart on their original Y Records label, and had a string of hits on the UK Indie Chart, while their debut album, Care (1983) was picked up by Warner in the United States. They left Y for Arista Records for 1984's Jam Science, also recruiting drummer Martyn Barker. The album reached number 85 on the UK Albums Chart, and the single "Hand on my Heart" charted in the Top 60 in the UK. However, finding little success Shriekback moved to Island Records where they recorded the 1985 album Oil & Gold. Marsh left Shriekback during the recording of Oil & Gold and was replaced by Mike Cozzi. for the 1986 album Big Night Music, Allen left to rejoin Gang of Four, and Shriekback remained a collaborative centred on Andrews. Allen would also go on to play in King Swamp and The Elastic Purejoy. Marsh was also in the band Happyhead.
After a further album in 1988, Go Bang!, the band split up. Andrews continued working on other projects before re-forming Shriekback in 1992, although after the single "The Bastard Sons of Enoch" and album Sacred City, there would be no further releases until 2000's Naked Apes & Pond Life album.
Both Allen and Marsh returned to the studio to contribute to the recording of Shriekback's 2003 release Having a Moment. Since Having a Moment, Andrews has recorded three albums for Malicious Damage (Killing Joke's original label) under the Shriekback moniker. Film director Michael Mann was a fan of Shriekback, and used several of their songs in his films Manhunter and Band of the Hand, and in his television series Miami Vice.
- Tench (EP) (1982) Y (UK Indie No. 9)
- Care (1983) Y (UK Indie No. 7)
- Jam Science (1984) Arista (UK No. 85)
- Oil & Gold (1985) Arista
- Big Night Music (1986) Island
- Go Bang! (1988) Island
- Sacred City (1992) World Domination/Capitol
- Naked Apes and Pond Life (2000) Mauve/Mushroom
- Having a Moment (2003)
- Cormorant (2005)
- Glory Bumps (2007)
- Life in the Loading Bay (December 2010)
- The Infinite (The Best of Shriekback) (1984) Kaz
- Evolution - Best of Shriekback vol. 2 (1988) Kaz
- The Dancing Years (1990) Island
- Natural History - The Very Best of Shriekback (1994) Essential
- Priests and Kannibals: The Best of Shriekback (1994) Arista
- The Y Records Years (2000) Sanctuary
- Aberrations 81-84 (2001) Weatherbox
According to Joel Whitburn's Hot Dance/Disco book 1974/2003, All Lined Up Hit No. 35 on the US Dance/Club chart
|UK Indie Chart||UK Singles Chart||U.S. Dance/Club||U.S. Modern Rock||U.S. Mainstream Rock|
|"My Spine Is the Bassline"||15||-||-||-||-||-|
|"Working on the Ground"||5||-||-||-||-||-|
|"Lined Up (remix)"||7||-||-||-||-||Care|
|1984||"Hand On My Heart"||-||52||22||-||-||Jam Science|
|Knowledge, Power, Truth and Sex EP||-||-||-||-||-|
|1985||"Nemesis"||-||-||-||-||-||Oil and Gold|
|"Fish Below the Ice"||-||-||-||-||-|
|1986||"Gunning for the Buddha"||-||-||-||-||-||Big Night Music|
|"Running on the Rocks"||-||-||-||-||-|
|"Get Down Tonight"||-||-||20||-||-|
|The Peel Sessions EP||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1992||"The Bastard Sons of Enoch"||-||-||-||-||-||Sacred City|
- Jungle Of The Senses (1987) Island Visual Arts
- Strong, Martin C. (2003) The Great Indie Discography, Canongate, ISBN 1-84195-335-0
- "Life in the Loading Bay".
- Lazell, Barry (1997) Indie Hits 1980-1989, Cherry Red Books, ISBN 0-9517206-9-4
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 497. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.