Shrimaan Shrimati (TV series)
|Written by||Ashok Patole|
|Directed by||Rajan Waghdhare|
Archana Puran Singh
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||143|
|Camera setup||Multi-camera Rakesh Sarang|
|Running time||Approx. 25 minutes|
|Original channel||DD National, SAB TV Rerunned on (( Dhamaal tv )) (( Dabangg tv ))|
|Picture format||SDTV: 480i|
Shrimaan Shrimati was a popular sitcom that first aired on Doordarshan in 1995. It starred Jatin Kanakia, Rakesh Bedi, Reema Lagoo and Archana Puran Singh in the lead roles. It became quite popular due to the good storylines and excellent comic performances from all the lead actors. Shrimaan Shrimati was written by Ashok Patole, directed by Rajan Waghdhare and produced by Gautam Adhikari and Markand Adhikari (popularly referred to as the "Adhikari brothers").
Shrimaan Shrimati was built on the premise of "love thy neighbor's wife." Keshav Kulkarni (Jatin Kanakia) is married to Kokila (Reema Lagoo). Their neighbours are a popular film actress Prema Shalini (Archana Puran Singh) and her effeminate husband Dilruba (Rakesh Bedi). Keshav is attracted to Prema's glamorous looks and lifestyle, while Dilruba is attracted to Kokila who is a smart housewife. Both of them make use of every possible opportunity (and create many of their own) to flirt with each other's wives, but every time their efforts come to nought.
The other important characters in the TV series are Keshav and Kokila's son Chintu (Ajay Nagrath), their other neighbor Ganga ( Hema Diwan), Keshav's boss Mr. Sharma (Shail Chaturvedi) and his office colleague Gokhale (Vijay Gokhale).
Cast and characters
- Jatin Kanakia as Keshav Kulkarni a.k.a. Keshu or Keku. He is the central character in the serial.
- Reema Lagoo as Kokila Kulkarni a.k.a. Koki. She plays Keshav's homemaker wife.
- Archana Puran Singh as Prema Shalini a.k.a. Doll or Prema ji. She plays a popular Bollywood film actress and speaks with an anglicised accent. Her name in the serial is a pun on real-life popular Bollywood actress Hema Malini.
- Rakesh Bedi as Dilruba Jarnail Singh Khurana a.k.a. Dilruba a.k.a. Dil. He plays Prema's admissive homemaker husband, and is rather effeminate by voice and body language.
- Ajay Nagrath as Chintu, Keshav and Kokila's overweight but adorable son. He has a tendency to deliberately and comically jumble up certain words. For instance, he addresses Dilruba as "Dil-bura uncle", which literally translated means "a person with ill will."
- Shail Chaturvedi as Mr. Bablu Prasad Sharma a.k.a. Mr. Sharma, Keshav's boss. He thinks of Keshav as a useless and incompetent employee, and often refers to him as "luccha" (meaning "a cheat" in Hindi) or "bhikmanga Kulkarni" (meaning "beggar") and the most popular one 3rd class aadmi. Keshav thinks of him as a nuisance and calls him "taklu Sharma" behind his back (meaning "bald" in Hindi, as Mr. Sharma is semi-bald).
- Vijay Gokhale as Gokhale, Keshav's best friend and colleague. Keshav trusts Gokhale more than anyone else, and always confides in him. Keshav always turns to Gokhale for advice and help, which he is more than willing to offer.
- Hema Diwan as Ganga a.k.a. Ganga mausi, Keshav and Kokila's other neighbor, sometimes jokingly referred to as "Ganges" (the English name of the river Ganga). Keshav is irritated by the sight of her and often pokes fun at her. Every time she visits Keshav's house, she ends up provoking a fight between him and his wife, at which point she hastily exits.
- Neena Gupta as a "Sapna",Prema's friend & Came for shooting in a Mumbai,lives in a dilruba's house for few days.
Shrimaan Shrimati had also been re-telecast on SAB TV The new season telecasted on SAB Tv as a 'Aaj Ke Shrimaan Shrimati'based on same concept but with new cast in the year 2005. , an entertainment channel launched by the Adhikari brothers and later acquired by Sony Entertainment Television.
- Shrimaan Shrimati at the Internet Movie Database
- Official website of Sri Adhikari Brothers Television Network Ltd.