The Shukhov radio tower (Russian: Шуховская башня), also known as the Shabolovka tower, is a broadcasting tower in Moscow designed by Vladimir Shukhov. The 160-metre-high free-standing steel diagrid structure was built in the period 1920–1922, during the Russian Civil War. It is a hyperboloid structure (hyperbolic steel gridshell).
Due to its diagrid structure, the steel shell of the Shukhov Tower experiences minimum wind load (the main hazard for high-rising buildings). The tower sections are single-cavity hyperboloids of rotation made of straight beams, the ends of which rest against circular foundations.
The tower is located a few kilometres south of the Moscow Kremlin, but is not accessible to tourists. The street address of the tower is "Shabolovskaya Street, 37", hence the tower's informal name "Shabolovka, 37".
See also 
- Vladimir Shukhov
- Hyperboloid structure
- List of Hyperboloid structures
- Shukhov tower on the Oka River
- Constructivist architecture
- List of towers
- Lord Foster fires up campaign to save Shukhov Tower: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/15/radio-tower-campaign-russia-foster
- P.Gössel, G.Leuthäuser, E.Schickler; "Architecture in the 20th century"; Taschen Verlag; 1990; ISBN 3-8228-4123-4.
- Elizabeth C. English, “Arkhitektura i mnimosti”: The origins of Soviet avant-garde rationalist architecture in the Russian mystical-philosophical and mathematical intellectual tradition”, a dissertation in architecture, 264 p., University of Pennsylvania, 2000.
- “Vladimir G. Suchov 1853-1939. Die Kunst der sparsamen Konstruktion.”, Rainer Graefe und andere, 192 S., Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart, 1990, ISBN 3-421-02984-9.
- Jesberg, Paulgerd Die Geschichte der Bauingenieurkunst, Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart (Germany), ISBN 3-421-03078-2, 1996; pp. 198–9.
- Ricken, Herbert Der Bauingenieur, Verlag für Bauwesen, Berlin (Germany), ISBN 3-345-00266-3, 1994; pp. 230.
- Picon, Antoine (dir.), "L'art de l'ingenieur : constructeur, entrepreneur, inventeur", Éditions du Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, 1997, ISBN 2-85850-911-5
- Fausto Giovannardi "Vladimir Shukhov e la leggerezza dell'acciaio" at www.giovannardierontini.it
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Shukhov tower|
- Shukhov Tower in Moscow - video
- The Shukhov's Radio Tower
- International campaign to save the Shukhov Tower in Moscow
- Shukhov Towers in Google Maps
- Shuhovskaya Tower at Structurae
- 3D model of the Shukhov Tower
- Views of the hyperboloid tower
- Invention of Hyperboloid Structures
- Shukhov Tower Foundation