The Shukhov radio tower (Russian: Шуховская башня), also known as the Shabolovka tower, is a broadcasting tower in Moscow designed by Vladimir Shukhov. The 160-metre-high free-standing steel diagrid structure was built in the period 1920–1922, during the Russian Civil War. It is a hyperboloid structure (hyperbolic steel gridshell).
Due to its diagrid structure, the steel shell of the Shukhov Tower experiences minimum wind load (the main hazard for high-rising buildings). The tower sections are single-cavity hyperboloids of rotation made of straight beams, the ends of which rest against circular foundations.
The tower is located a few kilometres south of the Moscow Kremlin, but is not accessible to tourists. The street address of the tower is "Shabolovskaya Street, 37", hence the tower's informal name "Shabolovka, 37".
- Vladimir Shukhov
- Hyperboloid structure
- List of Hyperboloid structures
- Shukhov tower on the Oka River
- Constructivist architecture
- List of towers
- Lord Foster fires up campaign to save Shukhov Tower: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/15/radio-tower-campaign-russia-foster
- P.Gössel, G.Leuthäuser, E.Schickler; "Architecture in the 20th century"; Taschen Verlag; 1990; ISBN 3-8228-4123-4.
- Elizabeth C. English, “Arkhitektura i mnimosti”: The origins of Soviet avant-garde rationalist architecture in the Russian mystical-philosophical and mathematical intellectual tradition”, a dissertation in architecture, 264 p., University of Pennsylvania, 2000.
- “Vladimir G. Suchov 1853-1939. Die Kunst der sparsamen Konstruktion.”, Rainer Graefe und andere, 192 S., Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart, 1990, ISBN 3-421-02984-9.
- Jesberg, Paulgerd Die Geschichte der Bauingenieurkunst, Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart (Germany), ISBN 3-421-03078-2, 1996; pp. 198–9.
- Ricken, Herbert Der Bauingenieur, Verlag für Bauwesen, Berlin (Germany), ISBN 3-345-00266-3, 1994; pp. 230.
- Picon, Antoine (dir.), "L'art de l'ingenieur : constructeur, entrepreneur, inventeur", Éditions du Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, 1997, ISBN 2-85850-911-5
- Fausto Giovannardi "Vladimir Shukhov e la leggerezza dell'acciaio" at www.giovannardierontini.it
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shukhov tower.|
- Shukhov Tower in Moscow - video
- The Shukhov's Radio Tower
- International campaign to save the Shukhov Tower in Moscow
- Shukhov Towers in Google Maps
- Shuhovskaya Tower at Structurae
- 3D model of the Shukhov Tower
- Views of the hyperboloid tower
- Invention of Hyperboloid Structures
- Shukhov Tower Foundation