|Shweta Basu Prasad|
|Born||Shweta Basu Prasad
11th January 1991
Jamshedpur, Bihar, India
(Now in Jharkhand)
Shweta Basu Prasad is an Indian film actress. She started her career as a child actress in Hindi films and television series and went on to play lead roles in Bengali,Telugu and Tamil cinema. For her performance in the 2002 film Makdee, she won the National Film Award for Best Child Artist.
Prasad was born in Jamshedpur, Bihar (now in Jharkhand) and moved to Mumbai when she was a child. Her mother Sarmishta is from West Bengal while her father Anuj is from Bihar. She studied commerce in the R. N. Podar High School, Santa-Cruz, Mumbai. She added her mother's maiden name Basu to her screen name.
In 2002, Prasad started her acting career as a child actress at the age of 11. She enacted dual roles as Chunni and Munni in the film Makdee, directed by Vishal Bhardwaj and got the National Film Award for Best Child Artist for the same. As a child artist, she also acted in the Star Plus series Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii as Shruti, Parvati and Oms daughter, and in soap operas like Karishma Kaa Karishma.
In 2005, she starred in the film Iqbal, which propelled her to mini stardom and got subsequent film offers. Her performance as Khadija in the film, fetched her several accolades including the Best Supporting Actress Award at the 5th Karachi International Film Festival. The following year, she acted in Ram Gopal Varma's Darna Zaroori Hai as Ashu.
In 2008, she debuted in Telugu cinema and played her first starring role in the film Kotha Bangaru Lokam, co-starring Varun Sandesh. The film became a large commercial success. Shwetha Basu Prasad could not replicate the success of Kotha Bangaru Lokam. She was seen in Kasko, Kalavar King, Priyudu and Nuvvekaddunte Nenakkadunta. However, the actress could hardly make money from these films as they were all small-budget movies.
On 31 August 2014, Prasad was booked under alleged prostitution charges in Hyderabad. Soon after her arrest, many major news media in India falsely alleged that she has willfully admitted to the charge and has claimed that prostitution among movie actresses is far more common than is known.
Two months later, in November, after her release from remand house, Prasad denied having made any such statement as she was not allowed to communicate to anyone during her arrest. Prasad has informed that legal actions will be taken against the media persons for fake reporting.
The actress was lodged in a rehabilitation center in Hyderabad but was released following a court order on her mother's plea. The actress received a lot of support from women on the social media who poured in their sympathy towards her plight. Bollywood film-maker Hansal Mehta intends to offer her a role.
Her on screen mother from the serial Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, Sakshi Tanwar, sent her an open letter. She has shown sympathy to her and extended her support to Shweta. Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone came out strongly in support of Shweta and has also asked other heroines to step in and support her. "It's sad, but if that's the only way she could run her family, I don't think there's anything wrong. Instead of making this a scandal, why are we not helping her? We should, in fact, talk about the people who have hired her. Not look down on her" commented Deepika.
On 5 December 2014, the Metropolitan Sessions Court, Nampally, Hyderabad, gave the actress a clean chit in the case and withdrew all the charges. Subsequently, the actress released an open letter and statements slamming the media for maligning her and her family and falsely quoting her fake "statements" for sensation. and make comeback to Kannada film 
|2002||Makdee||Chunni/Munni||Hindi||National Film Award for Best Child Artist
|2005||Iqbal||Khadija||Hindi||Star Screen Award for Best Supporting Actress
|2005||Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi||Shweta||Hindi|
|2006||Darna Zaroori Hai||Ashu||Hindi|
|2008||Kotha Bangaru Lokam||Swapna Vishwanath||Telugu||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu|
|2009||Ek Nadir Galpo: Tale of a River||Anjana||Bengali|
|Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii||Shruti||Hindi|
|Karishma Kaa Karishma||Sweety||Hindi|
|The Magic Make-Up Box||Ashu||Hindi|
- "Interview with Shweta Basu Prasad". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2008-10-30.
- "Reel Magic". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2003-11-20.
- Shweta Prasad's name games. Hindustan Times (2007-11-26). Retrieved on 2012-06-21.
- PIB Press Releases. Pib.nic.in (2003-07-26). Retrieved on 2012-06-21.
- 5th KaraFilm Festival – Karachi International Film Festival 2005. Karafilmfest.com. Retrieved on 2012-06-21.
- "SHOCKING: Actress caught in prostitution racket case". Bollywood Hungama. 6 September 2014.
- Shweta Basu breaks silence, explains her version of events in the 'prostitution' scandal. DNA India. 3 November 2014
- Handoo, Ritika (30 October 2014) 'Makdee' actress Shweta Basu Prasad out from rescue home. zeenews.india.com
- "Second chance? Director Hansal Mehta may offer Shweta Prasad role in his film". India Today. 5 September 2014.
- 'Iqbal' famed actress Swetha Basu: Circumstances led to prostitution. indiaglitz.com. 3 September 2014
- Sabherwal, Parul (10 September 2014). "Shweta Basu sex scandal: Sakshi Tanwar extends support in open letter". zeenews.india.com.
- "Deepika Padukone Supports Swetha Basu: What is wrong with Prostitution?". Deccan-Journal. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "I was never encouraged to get into commercial sex: Shweta Basu Prasad speaks out in an open letter to the media after getting clean chit from court". 8 Dec 2014. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Shweta Basu breaks her silence, releases open letter". http://indiatoday.intoday.in. India Today.
- "Shweta Basu Prasad slams media in open letter". http://www.thehindu.com. The Hindu.
- "Well done! You created a mess in my very life, says Shweta Basu Prasad in her open letter to media". http://indianexpress.com. Indian Express.
- "Why Shweta Basu Prasad’s Open Letter to the Media Shames Me". http://idiva.com. IDiva.
- "Shweta Basu Prasad sex scandal: Her version of the story". http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Times Of India.
- "Shweta Basu Prasad slams media in an open letter - TOI". https://www.youtube.com. TOI - Youtube.
- "Shweta Basu Prasad's OPEN LETTER to the media - EXCLUSIVE". https://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com. Yahoo Lifestyle.
- "Shweta Basu Prasad slams media in open letter". http://www.financialexpress.com. Financial Express.
- "Shweta Basu Prasad slams media in open letter". http://www.mid-day.com. Mid Day.
- startv.com/uk. Uk.startv.com. Retrieved on 2012-06-21.
- startv.com/uk. Uk.startv.com. Retrieved on 2012-06-21.
- IIFA 2006 in Dubai. Entertainment.oneindia.in (2006-06-02). Retrieved on 2012-06-21.
- "Kasko". IMDB.
- "Priyudu". IMDB.
- Shweta Basu Prasad hotel scandal
- Shweta Prasad at the Internet Movie Database
- Swetha Basu Prasad
- Swetha Basu Prasad Roots Documentary