Shymkent International Airport
|Shymkent International Airport
Халықаралық Шымкент Әуежайы
|IATA: CIT – ICAO: UAII|
|Operator||JSC "Shymkent International Airport"|
|Location||12.6 km (7.8 mi) NW of Shymkent Railway Station, Kazakhstan|
|Elevation AMSL||422 m / 1,385 ft|
Shymkent International Airport (Kazakh: Халықаралық Шымкент Әуежайы, Russian: Международный Аэропорт Шымкент) (IATA: CIT, ICAO: UAII) is an airport serving Shymkent in South Kazakhstan Province, Kazakhstan.
In 2004, the airport handled 97,000 passengers.
The basis for the airport was an agricultural airbase built in 1932. Since 1933 it started handling passengers and cargo traffic. In 1963 Shymkent airport was relocated to its current place.
After a protocol signed in November 2012 by the governments of Kazakhstan and France, French forces withdrawing from Afghanistan received authorization to use Shymkent Airport. Military hardware arriving on French planes will then be transported by rail to Europe. France has to fund the creation of the infrastructure necessary for the temporary bond storage and the area needed for higher customs control to ensure the transhipment operations in Shymkent Airport. It will also finance the acquisition or the rent of loading vehicles to accelerate wagon loadings, construction of 400 m (1,300 ft) of additional roads with hard coating, protection of freights in the temporary storage and en route on Kazakhstan's railroad.
Airlines and destinations
- AIP Kazakhstan
- "French Forces Withdrawing from Afghanistan Authorized to Land in Kazakhstan". The Gazette of Central Asia (Satrapia). 30 December 2012.
- "Air Arabia. Новый рейс Шымкент-Шарджа-Шымкент". International Travel plus. 5 February 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- L, J (21 July 2014). "flydubai to Start Kazakhstan Service from mid-Sep 2014". airlineroute.net/. Airline Route. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "S7 Airlines открывает новый рейс в Казахстан". S7 Airlines. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "Авиарейс Кокшетау-Шымкент-Кокшетау запускает SCAT". Новости-Казахстан. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "City pairs Schedule". Information and Services. JSC "TRANSAERO" Airlines. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
|This article about an Asian airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Kazakhstan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about transport in Kazakhstan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|