Siberia (TV series)
|Created by||Matthew Arnold|
|Directed by||Matthew Arnold, Herbert James Winterstern, Slava N. Jakovleff|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||11 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||About 41 minutes|
|Original run||July 1, 2013– ?|
Siberia is an American mockumentary series about a reality television show where 16 contestants must survive in the Siberian territory of Tunguska. Shortly after arrival, the contestants notice strange things and are abandoned by the production of the reality show. The show was filmed in Birds Hill Provincial Park just north of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It premiered on NBC on July 1, 2013.
It was met with generally favorable reviews from critics and viewers, with average viewership per episode coming in around 2.03 million viewers. Metacritic scored the show with a 63 out of 100. The series concluded on September 16, 2013.
Siberia has not been officially cancelled, but it has been removed from NBC's list of current shows.
Sixteen reality-show contestants arrive in a Siberian forest to take part in a reality show hoping to win $500,000. The unexpected death of a fellow contestant throws them off, but they eventually all accept it as an accident. Strange events continue to happen, and when a contestant is injured and no help arrives, they realize they will have to band together to survive in a land they do not understand. More unusual events happen that parallel the ones natives experienced 100 years earlier during the Tunguska event.
- Joyce Giraud as Joyce, an actress hired to play the role of Carolina, a bartender from Bogota, Colombia.
- Johnny Wactor as Johnny, a competitive bull rider from Jedburg, SC.
- Daniel Sutton as Daniel, a computer programmer from Royalton, MN.
- Neeko O.J. Skervin as Neeko, a professional rugby player from London, United Kingdom.
- Sam Dobbins as Sam, a bouncer from Brooklyn, NY.
- Sabina Akhmedova as Sabina, a retired soldier from Haifa, Israel.
- Esther Anderson as Esther, a model from Melbourne, Australia. (10 episodes)
- Miljan Milosevic as Miljan, a club DJ from Podgorica, Montenegro. (10 episodes)
- Anne-Marie Mueschke as Annie, a graphic artist from New Orleans, LA. (10 episodes)
- Irene Szuchun Yee as Irene, a fashion designer from Taipei, Taiwan. (9 episodes)
- Natalie Scheetz as Natalie, a veterinary assistant from Santa Barbara, CA (5 episodes)
- Jonathon Buckley as Jonathon, the host. (3 episodes)
- Victoria Hill as Victoria, a sales clerk from Winnipeg, Canada (2 episodes)
- George Dickson as George, an accountant from Louisville, KY. (2 episodes)
- Tommy Mountain as Tommy, an environmental activist from Boston, MA. (1 episode)
- Berglind Icey as Berglind, a journalist from Reykjavik, Iceland. (1 episode)
- Harpreet Turka as Harpreet, a graduate student from Washington, D.C. (1 episode)
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release date|
|Series premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||11||July 1, 2013||September 16, 2013||March 11, 2014||N/A||N/A|
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||"Pilot"||Matthew Arnold||Matthew Arnold||July 1, 2013||3.07|
|In the series premiere, sixteen contestants from all around the world arrive in the remote Siberian wilderness where they must try to survive and be the last ones remaining in order to win $500,000 with no rules and no help from the producers. The last two contestants to arrive at the camp where they will be staying will be eliminated from the competition, which are Harpreet and Berglind. At night, the contestants hear a strange noise in the forest. In the morning, Tommy wanders away searching for food. Later, the contestants are informed by Jonathon, the host, that Tommy was in a fatal accident.|
|2||"A Question of Reality"||Matthew Arnold||Travis Rooks||July 8, 2013||2.60|
|George decides to leave the competition. Later, Daniel finds the site where Tommy was killed along with a strange footprint and cave markings showing tribesmen fighting a large creature with the same footprint. The contestants then find a shed full of food, which they decide to ration. Victoria unintentionally eats uncooked poisonous mushrooms and begins hallucinating. The next day, she returns back to normal and decides to leave. Before she does, she warns Daniel that the group is going to die, as seen in her hallucinations.|
|3||"Lyin' and Tiger and Bare"||Matthew Arnold||Odin Shafer and Andrew Adair||July 15, 2013||2.36|
|At night, the group finds the food shed set ablaze. In the morning, Natalie and Annie return to camp claiming to have seen a tiger. The contestants discover that Johnny burned the food shed, but a hidden camera inside the shed reveals Carolina as the true saboteur, framing Johnny. Later, Neeko and Sabina find a partially eaten tiger and wonder what could have killed it.|
|4||"Fire in the Sky"||Matthew Arnold||Dorian Hess||July 29, 2013||1.93|
|In the morning, the contestants find a spear in their camp with an attached message warning them to leave. At night, the sky mysteriously turns green. After the sky returns to normal, Carolina reveals to the group that she is a TV actress named Joyce who was ordered by the producers to frame Johnny for burning the food shed.|
|5||"What She Said"||Matthew Arnold||David Paster||August 5, 2013||1.80|
|Natalie leaves behind a note informing the contestants that she has left the competition. Later, Irene gets caught in a booby trap, severely injuring her leg. Desperate, the contestants search for the producers' basecamp to get help for Irene, but they find the basecamp in ruins.|
|6||"Out of the Frying Pan"||Matthew Arnold||Matthew Arnold and Odin Shafer||August 12, 2013||1.86|
|Now on their own, the contestants discover that Miljan found a century-old Russian diary that describes violent creatures called “Valleymen” and a nomadic tribe called the Evenki. Later, the contestants spot a radio tower in the distance that Johnny, Daniel, Sam, and Joyce hike towards while the rest stay at camp. Along the way, they find a site reminiscent of the Tunguska event.|
|7||"First Snow"||Slava N. Jakovleff and Herbert James Winterstern||Matthew Arnold and Shaun Hudson||August 19, 2013||1.83|
|With temperatures dropping, the away team continues their harsh trek. Back at camp, a deranged Miljan attacks Irene, forcing the group to tie him down. Miljan persuades Esther to untie him and to dose the others with sleeping pills so he can secretly take Irene into the woods.|
|8||"A Gathering Fog"||Slava N. Jakovleff and Herbert James Winterstern||Brian Rost||August 26, 2013||1.73|
|While the group at camp searches for Irene and Miljan, they stumble upon Natalie's corpse. As Neeko and Sabina press on, Annie and Esther stay behind to bury Natalie but are later captured by unseen forces. Meanwhile, the away team loses sight of the radio tower but instead finds shelter in a deserted Russian research station. Note: This is the least-viewed episode of the series along with "One by One".|
|9||"One by One"||Slava N. Jakovleff and Herbert James Winterstern||Matthew Arnold and Brian Rost||September 2, 2013||1.73|
|At the research station, the away team discovers a lab conducting mutation experiments and find the radio tower destroyed. Back at camp, Neeko and Sabina find Miljan, who handed Irene over to the Evenki tribe for help. The three are later captured by the tribesmen.|
|10||"Strange Bedfellows"||Slava N. Jakovleff and Herbert James Winterstern||Shaun Hudson and Andrew Adair||September 9, 2013||1.81|
|At the research station, Johnny, Daniel, Sam, and Joyce use a radio to make contact with a rescue team. Meanwhile, the Evenki tribesmen take Sabina, Neeko, and Miljan to their encampment where they find Esther, Annie, and a healed Irene. Believing that the area is cursed due to the Valleymen creatures that roam the woods, the Evenki direct the six towards the research station.|
|11||"... Into the Oven"||Herbert James Winterstern and Matthew Arnold||Travis Rooks and Matthew Arnold||September 16, 2013||2.2 |
|Season finale. A squad of Russian black op soldiers arrive at the research station to kill the reunited contestants but are attacked by the Valleymen. The contestants escape in a truck, but Annie is killed by the troops. When the truck gets stuck in ice, Esther (who appears to possess the prize money) hijacks the truck. The contestants find shelter in an evacuated small town and realize that they were followed by the troops with Jonathon (the host) amongst them. Note: This episode was merged with the 12th episode to compensate for the Royal Baby Special, regarding the birth of Prince George of Cambridge, which delayed the airing of the 4th episode.|
- Brown, Laurel (June 25, 2013). "Watch 'Siberia' here: NBC's new horror-reality released online early". Zap2it. Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- New NBC show Siberia is scorned by Russians for stereotyping and being 'frozen in a Cold War time warp', Will Stewart, Daily Mail, July 1, 2013
- "Siberia Season 1 Review". Metacritic. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Hibberd, James (June 7, 2013). "NBC's 'Siberia' trailer: It's 'Lost' meets 'Survivor' -- EXCLUSIVE". InsideTV. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Lowry, Brian (June 28, 2013). "Review: "Siberia"". Variety. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Buy SIBERIA DVD from Lionsgate Shop".
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Under the Dome' Adjusted Up; 'Mistresses' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (July 11, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Get Out Alive' Adjusted Up; 'Siberia' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 18, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'American Ninja Warrior' Adjusted Up; 'Mistresses', 'The Bachelorette' & 'Get Out Alive' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 30, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Under the Dome' & 'The Bachelorette' Adjusted Up; 'Mistresses' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- "Siberia : What She Said". Zap2It. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 6, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Under the Dome' Adjusted Up, 'Siberia' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- "Siberia : Out of the Frying Pan". Zap2It. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 13, 2013). "TV Ratings Monday: 'Under the Dome' Falls, 'CMA Music Festival' Rises, 'American Ninja Warrior', 'Get Out Alive' & 'Siberia' Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Siberia : First Snow". Zap2It. Retrieved July 31, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 20, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Get Out Alive With Bear Grylls' and 'Mistresses' Adjusted Down; No Adjustment for 'Under the Dome'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Siberia : A Gathering Fog". Zap2It. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 27, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Siberia' Adjusted Down; No Adjustment for 'Under the Dome' or 'Mistresses'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Siberia : One by One". Zap2It. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (September 4, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'Under the Dome' & 'Mistresses' Adjusted Up; 'Siberia' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- "Siberia : Strange Bedfellows". Zap2It. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 10, 2013). "Monday Final TV Ratings: 'American Ninja Warrior' Adjusted Up, 'Mistresses' & 'Siberia' Adjusted Down + Final US Open Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- "Siberia : ... Into the Oven". Zap2It. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (September 17, 2013). "NBC's 'Million Second Quiz' Tops Prior Two Telecasts". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 17, 2013.