Sibiu Philharmonic Orchestra
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2011)|
In the 16th century, Sibiu had one of the first European schools for organ, funded by Hyeronymus Ostermayer and the city’s archive contains music scores signed by composers of the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1774, at the court of Samuel von Brukenthal, governor of Transylvania, a professional orchestra held its first concert. In 1792, one year after Mozart’s death, Die Entführung aus dem Serail was played in Sibiu, and later in 1800, The Creation, by Joseph Haydn.
The State Philharmonic of Sibiu was founded on January 1, 1949. Together with the orchestra, artists from Romania and other countries have performed, among them: Ion Voicu, Valentin Gheorghiu, Ștefan Ruha, Monique de La Bruchollerie and Jean Jaques Thiollier, Sviatoslav Richter, Rudolf Kerer, Lazar Berman, Dimitri Bashkirov, Ivry Gitlis, and Montserrat Caballé.
In 2004, the location of the State Philharmonic of Sibiu was moved to Thalia Hall. Built in 1787 by Martin Hochmeister, the hall has been twice destroyed by fire during its history. The County Council of Sibiu restarted the restoration of the building in 1990. The official inauguration took place on October 7, 2004, with the music of the Symphony no. 9 by Ludwig van Beethoven.
The Orchestra today
The current conductor of the Sibiu State Philarmonic is Petre Sbarcea.
- 1st violin: Marius Radu - concert master, Sergiu Fidiles - concert master, Lilia Grigorasciuc, Dorin Munteanu, Vasilica Tudori, Ludmila Lungu, Ioan Bogner, Nicolae Popoviciu, Sili Viorica, Cotîrlea Iuliana
- 2nd violin: Eugen Ostafi, Mircea Traian Popp, Arpad Dode, Andrei Vasilas, Andrei Vasilas jr., Petronius Gherghina, Tiberiu Dragoi, Ioana Gavrilas, Ilasciuc Violeta, Coman Raluca
- Viola: Nicolae Modog, Maria Flonda, Aurelia Mailat, Stefan Huros, Mihaela Scheau, Terez Mihály, Tuta Mihaela
- Cello: Carmen Musca, Octavian Ostafi, Claudia Grelus, Ina Turoiu, Zach Viorica, Silviu Chiorlise
- Double Bass: Valentin Desaga, Chirila Adam, Mihai Lucian Moraru
- Flute: Cristina Bojin, Elena Bojin, Ioan Bojin
- Oboe: Lucia Dobri, Lucian Popa, Romanino Popa
- Clarinet: Florin Grelus, Ciprian Dancu, Vasile Petcu
- Bassoon: Adam Raduly, Mircea Ittu, Constantin Popa,Eugen Schillo
- Horn: Antonio Mihail, Viorel Mailat
- Trumpet: Gheorghe Brănici, Dorin Petcu, Nicolae Plesa
- Trombone: Ionel Sarca, Ion Palagniuc, Radu Munteanu
- Tuba: Daniel Luca
- Percussion: Radu Craciun, Andrei Marcovici, Alexandru Craciun
- Harp: Ileana Rotaru
- www.filarmonicasibiu.ro - Official site