|Elevation||564 m (1,850 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Siddapur Taluk is a part of Uttara Kannada district, Karnataka, India and is located in the midst of forest areas of Western Ghats and it is also a part of Malenadu. The taluk is full of greenery, hills and arecanut gardens developed in the vallies. The taluk headquarters is Siddapur, Uttara Kannada.
As of 2001[update] India census, the main town Siddapur had a population of 14,049. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49% and has an average literacy rate of 82%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 88%, and female literacy is 82%. In Siddapur, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. Kannada is the widely spoken language which includes [Havyaka] a sub language of Kannada and other languages spoken are Konkani, Marathi and Urdu.
Siddapur taluk is full of forests and hills and arecanut is mainly grown in the valleys in between forests. The other crops grown are paddy, coconut, pineapple, pepper, vanilla etc. Coffee is also grown in certain pockets of the Taluk. Industrial activity is minimal and restricted to a small number of Rice mills, supari manufacturing units etc.
Siddapur Taluk is connected by road only and main means of transport is state owned KSRTC and certain private bus companies. The Taluk headquarters and villages of the taluk are connected by road to Karwar, [Sirsi], Kumta, Bhatkal, [Sagar], [Shimoga], [Bangalore], [Mysore] and Hubli etc.
The nearest railway station is Talaguppa (18 km) towards Shimoga, Mysore, Bangalore, Chennai, Hydrabad and Kumta (68 km) towards Karwar, Goa, Mumbai, Pune, Mangalore and Kerala. Nearest airport is Hubli Airport towards Bangalore and Mumbai, which is about 120 km. from Siddapur.
Art and culture
All over Siddapura Taluk, Yakshagana, a classical dance drama popular in the state of Karnataka, is practiced regularly and 'badagu thittu' form of the art has its own style in entire Uttara Kannada district.
Some festivals are celebrated in different ways. "Holi Hunnive" also known as "Kamana Habba" is celebrated on full moon day. effigies/statues of Rati and Manmatha are placed at different places on the 14th day, i.e. Chaturdashi and burnt on Poornina, Full Moon day and people bathe in colour waters. Deepawali - festivals of lights is celebrated with people burning torches made of long -soft wood called "Pundi kattu" and hoisting paper made lanterns called "Aakaash Butti".
Kondli Sri Marikamba Temple Situated at Haladakatta, Siddapur and Kondli Sri Kalikamba Temple, Sri Vinayak Temple Honnegundi, Sri Renukamba Temple Chandragutti (15 km from Siddapur), Sri Shaneshwar and Hanuman Temple Bedkani (5 km from Siddapur), Sri Bhuvaneshwari Temple Bhuvanagiri are very old and famous temples here. Further Sri Laxmi-Venkatesh Temple, Sri Vittal-Rukmini Mandir, Sringeri sri sharadha Temple Hosuru, Sri Shiv Mandir also situated here.
The famous 'Marikamba Jaathre' held on Maribail Kondli, commemorating the goddess Marikamba is held by the temple authorities once in every 5 year. Nearly a lakh devotees from all parts of the country attend the fair, making it one of the biggest festivals in the region. In the heart of the town there are three more temples one Sri Ganapati Temple, one Maruti Temple newar Chandraghatgati Patanganaa and one Shiva Temple which is very old and dilapidated condition. The Ganapati Temple has a stone inscription which depicts the history of the temple.
Jamiya Masjid is located in Siddapura, the taluk headquarters.
Holy Rosary Catholic Church, Ravindranagar is situated in Ravindranagar, Siddapur.
Several villages and taluk headquarters have banking facilities of Nationalised Banks and certain financial institutions are also functioning in the taluk.
Special sweet dishes in Siddapur
Jack-fruit and banana chips, Fresh Sugarcane juice are special. Kadubu: The main ingredients are jackfruit pulp and jaggery. The batter is prepared and with some additional ingredients, the batter is put into a container and steamed. The dessert is a local delicacy and is served hot with ghee.
Holge: Well these are not similar to pancakes but one could say that these are the sweet equivalents of tortillas. One variant is made with gramflour and jaggery while the other is made with coconuts.
Todadevu : Its a special kind of thin crust dosa made out of jaggery/sugarcane juice.
Government and private educatinal institutions are there in the taluk.
- Prashanti Gurukula Vidya Kendra
- Model Kannada School, Hosur
- Model Kannada Boys School
- Model Kannada Girls school
- Ballikoppa Govt Primary School
- Little Flower School, Ravindranagar
- Shree Murugharajendra Blind School
- Siddhivinayaka Primary School
- MGC Arts Commerce &GHD Science College
- Dhanavantri Ayurvedic Medical College
- Shree Kalika bhavani High school KANASUR
- Government PU College, Siddapur (junior)
- Government PU College, Halgeri
- Government PU College, Kolsirsi
- Government PU College, Nanikatta
- Government First Grade College, Siddapur
- Government Polytechnic Siddapur.
- Government ITI Siddapur.
- Jnana Sagara PU College, Bilagi
Places of interest
- Jog Falls- 16 km from Siddapur.(Jog falls is in Sagar Taluk)
- Honnemaradu- Situated Near Talguppa (backwaters of River [Sharavathi]),25 km from Siddapur (Situated in Sagar Taluk)
- Burude Falls Or Illimane Falls Near Kyadgi is a five step water falls and is about 21 km from Siddapur (includes 3 km of trekking from Illimane)
- Unchalli Falls (KeppaJoga) - 28 km from Siddapur Near Gollimakki (Another route is via trek from Illimane Falls to Unchalli Falls of distance about 5 km)
- WaateHalla Falls - 34 km from Siddapur.
- Jaina Basadi in (Gerusoppa, 18 km from town)
- Bhuvaneshwari Temple situated at Bhuvanagiri is the only Kannadambe Buvaneshwari Temple in Karnataka (7 km).
- Sri Renukambe temple and Hill sight Chandragutti (15 km)
- Sri Shankar Math and Big Garden Park Siddapur
- Husur Dam (12 km)
- Yana Jungle (35 km from Sirsi)
- Siganadhr Temple And Holebagilu (30 km From Sagar)
- Kannali Temple (8 km)
- Gudvi Pakshidam (30 km Near Sorab)
- Varadhahalli Ashrama (4 km from Sagar)
- Shaneshwara Temple BEDKANI (6 km frm siddapur)
- Anjaneya Temple BEDKANI (6 km frm siddapur)
- JAIN temple bedkani
- Golbavi & Jain Basadi Bilagi (14 km from siddapur)
- Sri Rameshwara Temple Itagi (16 km from Siddapur)
- Sri Lakshmi Janardhana Temple, Shiralagi(8 km from siddapur)
- Sri kalammanagudi Temple Kondli (3 km from siddapur)
- Sri Rameshwara Temple Kondli (3 km from siddapur)
Patrakartha, Karwar eNews (http://www.karwarenews.com),karawalimunjavu, janantharanga, Janamadhyama, Lokadhwani are the local papers available here.
local tv channel
Janani TV siddapur (Local news, Local programs, Films, Songs, Yakshagana& LIVE Programs)
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.