Sideling Creek Dam
|Sideling Creek Dam|
|Location||South East Queensland|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment dam|
|Height||23 m (75 ft)|
|Length||500 m (1,600 ft)|
|Dam volume||280×103 m3 (9.9×106 cu ft)|
|Spillway capacity||710 m3/s (25,000 cu ft/s)|
|Total capacity||14,500 ML (3.2×109 imp gal; 3.8×109 US gal)|
|Catchment area||53 km2 (20 sq mi)|
|Surface area||320 ha (790 acres)|
The Sideling Creek Dam is an earth-fill embankment dam with an un-gated spillway across the Sideling Creek that is located in the South East region of Queensland, Australia. The main purposes of the dam are for potable water supply of the Moreton Bay region and for recreation. The impounded reservoir is called Lake Kurwongbah.
Location and features
The dam is located 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) east of North Pine Dam and 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) northwest of Petrie. The primary inflow is Sideling Creek, a tributary of the North Pine River. To the east of the dam is the Lakeside Park motor racing circuit.
Completed in 1958,1 the earthfill dam structure is 23 metres (75 ft) high and 500 metres (1,600 ft) long. The 280-thousand-cubic-metre (9.9×106 cu ft) dam wall holds back the 14,500-megalitre (3.2×109 imp gal; 3.8×109 US gal) reservoir when at full capacity. From a catchment area of 53 square kilometres (20 sq mi) that includes the localities of Petrie, Kallangur and Dakabin, the dam creates Lake Kurwongbah, with a surface area of 320 hectares (790 acres). The uncontrolled un-gated spillway has a discharge capacity of 710 cubic metres per second (25,000 cu ft/s). The dam is now managed by Seqwater.
Access to Lake Kurwongbah is via Dayboro Road, with picnic facilities located at Mick Hanfling Park on the lake's eastern shores. Water skiing is allowed and rowing is another popular recreational activity provided by the dam. The lake has been used for professional level radio controlled model yacht competitions, although has moved more recently to a pond adjacent to the motor racing circuit at Lakeside Park. It was the proposed venue for rowing in Brisbane's failed bid for the 1992 Olympic Games.
Motor racing has been held Lakeside International Raceway, as it was originally known since 1961 and has hosted the Australian Grand Prix and Australian Touring Car Championship, amongst other events.
- "Register of Large Dams in Australia" (Excel (requires download)). Dams information. Australian National Committee on Large Dams. 2010. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Sideling Creek Dam". Water supply: Dams and weirs. Seqwater. 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Harrison, Rod; James, Ernie; Sully, Chris; Classon, Bill; Eckermann, Joy (2008). Queensland Dams. Victoria: Australian Fishing Network. pp. 114–5. ISBN 978-1-86513-134-4.,
- "Lake Kurwongbah: General information". Pine Rivers Fish Management Association. 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Bromiley, Cliff (9 September 2008). "Sunshine Coast sailor wins Radio Controlled title". Sail World. TetraMedia. Retrieved 14 May 2009.