Sidhe (game developer)
Computer and video game industry
|Headquarters||Wellington, New Zealand|
|Key people||Mario Wynands
|Products||Rugby Challenge series
Rugby League series
Sidhe (also known as Sidhe Interactive) is a developer of console, handheld and PC games. Founded and incorporated on May 1997 by Mario Wynands, Tyrone McAuley and Stuart Middleton, the company is an officially licensed developer for Microsoft (Xbox, Xbox 360), Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (PlayStation, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS Vita), Nintendo of America (GBA, DS, Wii) and Apple Inc. (iPhone, iPod Touch). It is also a co-founding member of the New Zealand Game Developers Association and the New Zealand Institute of Screen Innovation.
Currently the largest game production studio in New Zealand, Sidhe has produced more than 20 titles including Shatter, GripShift, Madagascar Kartz, Hot Wheels Battle Force 5, Speed Racer The Videogame, as well as multiple games based on the NRL Rugby League franchise.
Sidhe provides services to and has products published by partners and clients such as Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Sony Online Entertainment, Activision, and Ubisoft. Sidhe has also collaborated with Weta Digital to achieve the first motion capture of a horse at full gallop, for their horse racing game, Melbourne Cup Challenge / Frankie Dettori Racing.
The company was formerly called Sidhe Interactive, but dropped the word Interactive in 2009 prior to the launch of the company's game for PlayStation 3, Shatter. In 2011 Shatter went on to be listed by IGN as one of their top 25 PS3 games and was their number one PSN game.
PikPok received an honorable mention in the 2011 Independent Games Festival awards for Flick Kick Football, under Best Mobile Game, and Bird Strike was a finalist in the 7th annual IMG Awards (2011).
The Sidhe brand was superseded in 2012 by what was a subsidiary brand, PikPok, which was an iDevice/Android development team. Notable PikPok titles include Bird Strike and the Flick Kick sports arcade series of games. In September 2010 a publishing partnership between PikPok and Lexaloffle Games was announced, and the first title from that collaboration, Zen Puzzle Garden, was released in December 2010. PikPok is now the primary brand of the studio.
Sidhe supports the local New Zealand video game industry by offering a scholarship for students who wish to study game development at a graduate level at the Media Design School in Auckland. At the end of 2010, Sidhe announced the Sidhe Elite financial scholarship for 2011 aiming to support young aspiring game developers. Many Media Design School graduates have gone on to work for Sidhe.
Games Developed by Sidhe
- Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition (console & PC, Q3 2013)
- Rugby Challenge (console & PC, Q3 2011)
- Blood Drive, (PS3, X360, 2010)
- Rugby League 3, (Wii, 2010)
- Madagascar Kartz, (PS3, X360, Wii, 2009)
- Hot Wheels Battle Force 5, (Wii, 2009)
- Shatter, (PS3, 2009) (PC, 2010)
- Rugby League 2 World Cup Edition, (PS2, 2008)
- Speed Racer, (Wii, PS2, 2008)
- GripShift, (PS3, X360, 2007)
- Jackass: The Game, (PSP, PS2, 2007)
- Melbourne Cup Challenge / Frankie Dettori Racing, (PC, Xbox, PS2, 2006)
- GripShift, (PSP, 2005)
- Rugby League 2, (PC, PS2, 2005) (Xbox, 2006)
- NRL Rugby League, (PC, Xbox, PS2, 2003)
- Adidas Football Fever, (PC Online Download, 2002)
- Frogmania Deluxe (PC Online Download)
- Wordjam Deluxe (PC Online Download)
- Barbie Beach Vacation, (PC, 2001)
- O'Neill Championship Surfer, (PlayStation, 2000)
Other Games Contributed to by Sidhe
- Aladdin Chess Adventures (PC, 2004)
- King Arthur (Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, 2004)
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius: Jet Fusion (PS2, GameCube, 2003)
- Hoyle Majestic Chess (PC, 2003)
- Spy Hunter (PC, 2003)
- Barbie Sparkling Ice Show, (PC, 2002)
- Druid King (a.k.a. Dark Shores)
- Dirty War
- IGN: Sidhe Interactive
- IGN - Top 25 PS3 Games
- IGN - Top 25 PSN Games
- IGF 2011 Awards
- IMGA 2011
- PikPok/Lexaloffle partnership announced
- Sidhe Offers Scholarships For Media Design School Game Development Diploma - PC News[dead link]
- tsumea - Sidhe continues scholarship support for Game Dev students
- Elite Scholarship For Aspiring Game Developers Announced
- "RUGBY CHALLENGE 2: THE LIONS TOUR EDITION ANNOUNCED FOR PS3, 360 AND PC". Gamasutra. Retrieved 4 September 2013.