Sidney Harris (cartoonist)
He was born in Brooklyn, New York some time before World War II and has been drawing science-related cartoons at least since 1955. His cartoons have appeared in numerous scientific journals, notably American Scientist, and also in science fiction magazines and an undergraduate physics textbook. His work has been reprinted in a dozen collections. He was elected as the 19th honorary member of Sigma Xi, a scientific honor society, in 1997. Harris obtained his degree from Brooklyn College and then attended the Art Students League in New York. He began his career as a science cartoonist in 1955. Throughout his drawing career, he has drawn thousands of cartoons many of which have been published. Over 600 of Harris' drawings have been published by American Scientist since the 70s. Harris also had 12 of his cartoon collections.
Harris's cartoons have appeared in a number of publications which include Science, Discover, Physics Today, The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal, Harvard Business, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Chicago Magazine, and National Lampoon. Since 1985, his drawings, paintings, and collections can be found in various museums throughout the US. Harris has a traveling exhibit, created by Sigma Xi and The New York Hall of Science, to appear in local museums.
- What's So Funny About Science? ISBN 978-0-913232-39-2 (1981)
- Chalk Up Another One: The Best of Sidney Harris ISBN 978-0-8135-2260-9 (1992)
- 49 Dogs, 36 Cats and a Platypus: Animal Cartoons ISBN 978-0813527130 (2000)
- Einstein Simplified: Cartoons on Science ISBN 978-0-8135-3386-5 (2004)
- 101 Funny Things About Global Warming ISBN 978-1-59691-482-7 (2007)
- "Fantasy & Science Fiction: Stories (by author)". Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "Sigma Xi: Sidney Harris". Sigma Xi website. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics [Hardcover]". Amazon.com. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Sigma Xi: Honorary Membership". Sigma Xi website. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society: Sidney Harris". Sig Maxi. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Science Cartoons Plus -- The Cartoons of S. Harris
- Cotton Expressions T-Shirts, featuring Cartoons by S. Harris
|This profile of an American cartoonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|