Sidse Babett Knudsen
|Sidse Babett Knudsen|
22 November 1968 |
Sidse Babett Knudsen (Danish pronunciation: [ˈsisə b̥ab̥ɛd̥ ˈkʰnusn̩]; born 22 November 1968) is a Danish actress who works in theatre, television, and film. Knudsen made her screen debut in the 1997 improvisational comedy Let's Get Lost, for which she received both the Robert and Bodil awards for Best Actress.
Following the critical success of her debut, Knudsen has been considered one of the top Danish actresses of her generation. In 2000, she again won both best actress awards for the comedy romance Den Eneste Ene (English title: The One and Only). Knudsen has also received nominations for her lead roles in the films Monas Verden (Mona's World) and Efter brylluppet (After the Wedding).
Knudsen was born 22 November 1968 in Copenhagen, the daughter of Ebbe Knudsen, a photographer, and Susanne Andersen, a school teacher. From 1987 to 1990, she trained in acting at the Theatre de l'Ombre in Paris despite knowing little French. Upon returning to Denmark, Knudsen played roles for the experimental theatre OVINE 302 as well as at the Betty Nansen and Royal Danish Theatres in Copenhagen.
In 1997 Knudsen debuted in the lead role of Julie in Jonas Elmer's slice-of-life comedy Let's Get Lost. The film's script was only an outline, requiring the actors to improvise their roles and dialogue. Knudsen said she wasn't very good at improvisation and accepted the part only because she thought it would be a lightweight summer comedy. The film became a breakout hit in Denmark and Knudsen received both the Robert Award and the Bodil Award for Best Actress. Critics called Knudsen's performance dominating. Film critic Kim Skotte of Politiken wrote that Knudsen had hit a new tone with a "special ability to capture the modern woman's uncertainty and strength."
Following her appearance in the 1999 television mystery Motello, Knudsen played the lead character in Susanne Bier's 1999 romantic comedy Den Eneste Ene. The film became one of the decade's biggest box-office hits in Denmark. It marked a new direction in modern Danish romantic comedies with credit given to Knudsen's acting style. Knudsen's portrayal of Sus, a woman who becomes pregnant by her unfaithful husband while she loves another man, again earned her both the Robert Award and the Bodil Award for Best Actress.
Knudsen returned to work with Elmer in 2000 as the title character in the comedy Mona's Verden. As in Elmer's first film, Knudsen was required to improvise her dialogue and character. Knudsen's portrayal of Mona, an uptight accountant who tries to stave off the romantic infatuation of a bank robber while being held hostage, earned her a Bodil Award nomination for Best Actress.
- Let's get lost (1997)
- Motello (1998)
- Den eneste ene (1999)
- Mifunes sidste sang (1999)
- Max (2000)
- Mirakel (2000)
- Monas Verden (2001)
- Dogville: The Pilot (2001)
- Fukssvansen (2001)
- Se til venstre, der er en svensker (2003)
- Villa Paranoia (2004)
- Fakiren fra Bilbao (2004)
- Efter brylluppet (2006)
- Til døden os skiller (2007)
- Blå mænd (2007/2008)
- Over gaden under vandet (2009)
- Parterapi (2010)
- Borgen  (2010-2013)
- "Sidse Babett Knudsen". Danske Film Database. danskefilm.dk. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Morten Piil, Danske Filmskuespillere, Copenhagen: Gyldendal, 2001, p.238
- Karin Schmidt, "En rigtig stjerne", B.T., 23 November 2002, retrieved 27-05-2009
- (Piil 2001, p. 238)
- Gilbert, Gerard (5 January 2012). "Nothing Like A Dane". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- (Piil 2001, p. 240)
- Peter Schepelern, "Internationalisering og dogme", 100 Års Dansk Film, Copenhagen; Rosinante, 2001 p. 343
- Morten Piil, "Barbara versus Babett", Information, 10 March 1998
- Kim Skotte, "Den Eneste Ene er et nyt kapitel i historien om den danske komedie", Politiken, 1 April 1999, written in Danish as "Med Let's Get Lost blev det slået fast, at dansk film i Sidse Babett Knudsen havde fået en skuespillerinde, som ramte en helt ny tone. En skuespillerinde med en særlig evne til at indfange den moderne kvindes usikkerhed og styrke."
- (Schepelern 2001, p. 313)
- Christian Monggaard, "At improvisere er at lytte", (Danish), Information, information.dk, 31 August 2001
- "Stor jævnbyrdighed i nomineringerne til årets Bodil-fest", B.T., January 11, 2002, retrieved 27-05-2009
- Morten Piil, Danske Filmskuespillere, Copenhagen: Gyldendal, 2001 ISBN 87-00-46576-3
- Peter Schepelern, "Internationalisering og dogme", from 100 Års Dansk Film, Copenhagen; Rosinante, 2001 ISBN 87-621-0157-9