- See Siegfried (disambiguation) for other uses.
Siegfried is a German language male given name, composed from the Germanic elements sig "victory" and frithu "protection, peace". The German name has the Old Norse cognate Sigfriðr, Sigfrøðr, which gives rise to Swedish Sigfrid (hypocorisms Sigge, Siffer), Danish/Norwegian Sigfred. In Norway, Sigfrid is given as a feminine name.
Notable people with the name include:
- Sigfrid of Sweden (died 1045), English missionary to Sweden and patron saint of Växjö
- Siegfried I, Archbishop of Mainz (died 1084)
- Siegfried of Luxembourg (922-998), founder of Luxembourg
- Siegfried III, Archbishop of Mainz (d. 1249)
- Siegfried I, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst (c. 1230-1298)
- Siegfried Lipiner (1856-1911), an Austrian poet and author
- Siegfried Wagner (1869-1930), German composer, conductor, and opera director, the son of Richard Wagner
- Siegfried "Fritz" Flesch (1872-1939), Austrian saber fencer
- Siegfried Translateur (1875-1944), an Austrian composer of dance music in the early 20th century
- Siegfried Sassoon (1886-1967), an English poet, named Siegried by his mother because of her love of Wagner's operas.
- Siegfried Rapp (1915–1982), one-armed German pianist
- Siegfried Jerusalem (b. 1940), a German operatic tenor
- Siegfried Ziering (1928-2000), a German-born American business executive, playwright and philanthropist
- Fictional characters
- Sigurd or Siegfried, the legendary dragon-slaying hero in Nibelungenlied and subject of the opera
- Siegfried, the first of Fritz Lang's two-film series, "Die Nibelungen"
- Siegfried, a character in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
- Siegfried (Get Smart), fictional character in 1960s American comedy television series Get Smart
- Siegfried, a principal character in the ballet Swan Lake
- Siegfried Farnon, one of the main characters in All Creatures Great and Small (TV series)
- Siegfried Schtauffen, main character of the Soul series of fighting games
- Dubhe Alpha Siegfried, Saint Seiya anime series character Asgard Chapter
- Siegfried of Denesle, a character in the witcher video game.
- Siegfried, a video game boss from the game Final Fantasy 6.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|