15 April 1911|
|Died||9 July 1943
|Allegiance|| Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1931–1943|
torpedo boat Seeadler
Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee
destroyer Z4 Richard Beitzen
|Commands held||torpedo boat G-11
torpedo boat Albatros
torpedo boat Löwe
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Siegfried Strelow (15 April 1911 – 15 July 1943) was a German U-boat commander in World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes), awarded for extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. He and the entire crew of U-435 were killed in action west of Figueira da Foz Municipality, Portugal, in position when their boat was sunk by 4 depth charges from a Royal Air Force (RAF) Vickers Wellington bomber of No. 179 Squadron RAF.
Summary of career
As a U-boat commander of U-435 Strelow is credited with the sinking of nine merchant ships for a total of 53,712 gross register tons (GRT), further sinking one auxiliary warship of 2,456 metric tons (2,417 long tons; 2,707 short tons) and three warships of 855 t (841 long tons; 942 short tons).
|30 March 1942||Effingham||United States||6,421||Sunk|
|13 April 1942||El Occidente||Panama||6,008||Sunk|
|13 April 1942||Harpalion||United Kingdom||5,486||Sunk|
|20 September 1942||HMS Leda (J 93)||Royal Navy||835||Sunk|
|22 September 1942||Bellingham||United States||5,345||Sunk|
|22 September 1942||Grey Ranger||United Kingdom||3,313||Sunk|
|22 September 1942||Ocean Voice||United Kingdom||7,174||Sunk|
|29 December 1942||Empire Shackleton||United Kingdom||7,068||Sunk|
|29 December 1942||Norse King||Norway||5,701||Sunk|
|30 December 1942||HMS Fidelity (D57)||Royal Navy||2,456||Sunk|
|30 December 1942||HMS LCV-752||Royal Navy||10||Sunk|
|30 December 1942||HMS LCV-754||Royal Navy||10||Sunk|
|17 March 1943||William Eustis||United States||7,196||Sunk|
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award (2 October 1936)
- Sudetenland Medal (1 August 1939)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Destroyer War Badge (19 February 1941)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (15 April 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 27 October 1942 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-435
- Busch and Röll 2003, p. 270.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 415.
- Busch, Hans-Joachim; Röll (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939–1945 — Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [The U-Boat War 1939–1945 — The Knight's Cross Bearers of the U-Boat Force from September 1939 to May 1945] (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 978-3-8132-0515-2.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- "Siegfried Strelow". uboat.net. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Siegfried Strelow". Lexikon der Wehrmacht (in German). Retrieved 4 July 2013.
|This biographical article related to the German Navy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|