Sierra County, New Mexico
|Sierra County, New Mexico|
Sierra County Courthouse in Truth or Consequences
Location in the state of New Mexico
New Mexico's location in the U.S.
|Seat||Truth or Consequences|
|Largest city||Truth or Consequences|
|• Total||4,236 sq mi (10,971 km2)|
|• Land||4,180 sq mi (10,826 km2)|
|• Water||56 sq mi (145 km2), 1.32%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1.1/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 4,236 square miles (10,972 km²), of which 4,180 square miles (10,827 km²) is land and 56 square miles (145 km²) (1.32%) is water.
- Catron County, New Mexico - northwest
- Socorro County, New Mexico - north
- Lincoln County, New Mexico - northeast
- Otero County, New Mexico - east
- Doña Ana County, New Mexico - south
- Luna County, New Mexico - south
- Grant County, New Mexico - west
National protected areas
- Cibola National Forest (part)
- El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro National Historic Trail (part)
- Gila National Forest (part)
Whereas according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau:
- 85.6% White
- 0.4% Black
- 1.7% Native American
- 0.4% Asian
- 0.0% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 3.3% Two or more races
- 8.6% Other races
- 28.0% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,270 people, 6,113 households, and 3,618 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 8,727 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 86.97% White, 0.48% Black or African American, 1.48% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 8.27% from other races, and 2.54% from two or more races. 26.28% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 6,113 households out of which 20.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.50% were married couples living together, 8.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.80% were non-families. 35.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.13 and the average family size was 2.75.
In the county the population was spread out with 20.10% under the age of 18, 5.40% from 18 to 24, 19.50% from 25 to 44, 27.40% from 45 to 64, and 27.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 49 years. For every 100 females there were 100.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $24,152, and the median income for a family was $29,787. Males had a median income of $24,570 versus $19,839 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,023. About 13.80% of families and 20.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.50% of those under age 18 and 14.70% of those age 65 or over.
Spaceport America is located in Sierra County, 45 miles (72 km) north of Las Cruces and 30 miles (48 km) east of Truth or Consequences. Sierra County voters approved the creation of a spaceport tax district in April 2008, freeing up funding for its construction.
- Caballo,New Mexico
- Lake Valley
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Kaufman, Marc (2008-05-10). "New Mexico Moves Ahead on Spaceport". Washington Post. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sierra County, New Mexico.|
- Sierra County Government
- Sierra County Tourism / Visitor Information
- Events for Truth or Consequences, Elephant Butte, and all of Sierra County
- Sierra County Resources
- Elephant Butte Chamber of Commerce
||Catron County||Socorro County||Lincoln County|
|Grant County||Otero County|
|Doña Ana County and Luna County|