Sierra Nevada Corporation
|Key people||Eren Ozmen, President and CFO; Fatih Ozmen, CEO|
Navigation and Guidance
Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) is a privately held electronic systems provider and systems integrator specializing in microsatellites, energy, telemedicine, nanotechnology, and commercial orbital transportation services. Sierra Nevada Corporation operates under the leadership of Chief Executive Officer, Fatih Ozmen and President, Eren Ozmen.The company contracts with the US military, NASA and private spaceflight companies. The company is headquartered in Sparks, Nevada.
The company was founded in 1963 by John Chisolm. It started out as a small business with a few employees, working out of an airplane hangar in Stead, Nevada. Later it was owned and successfully run by Chisolm's daughter Michelle Bergfield (Chisolm), and later acquired in 1994 by husband and wife Fatih Ozmen and Eren Ozmen. Fatih Ozmen was one of the few original employees hired by Chisolm in 1981. Sierra Nevada Corporation is now a privately held company under the leadership and sole ownership of Chief Executive Officer, Fatih Ozmen and President, Eren Ozmen. The Ozmens are Turkish but live in the United States.
Key Products & Contracts
On February 27, 2013, the Embraer EMB 314 Super Tucano offered by Sierra Nevada Corporation and its partner Embraer, won a bid for a U.S. Air Force Light Air Support contract to provide reconnaissance and training capabilities to the Afghanistan military.
Gorgon Stare, a wide-area surveillance sensor, is being developed and tested on the MQ-9 Reaper at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. with the 53rd Wing. These sensors pods have been in development since 2009 by the Air Force’s Big Safari group and Sierra Nevada Corp.
SNC's Space Systems (Previously SpaceDev)
Dream Chaser® Manned Spacecraft
On February 1, 2010, Sierra Nevada Corporation was awarded $20 million in seed money in phase 1 of NASA’s Commercial Crew Development (CCDev) program for the development of the Dream Chaser. Of the $50 million awarded in the phase 1 CCDev program, Dream Chaser's award represents the largest share of the funds.
On August 3, 2012, NASA announced new agreements with the Sierra Nevada Corporation and two other companies to design and develop the next generation of U.S. human spaceflight capabilities, enabling a launch of astronauts from U.S. soil in the next five years. Advances made by these companies under newly signed Space Act Agreements through the agency's Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap) initiative are intended to ultimately lead to the availability of commercial human spaceflight services for government and commercial customers. As part of this agreement, Sierra Nevada Corporation was awarded $212.5 million, ostensibly to continue development and testing of its Dream Chaser spacecraft. The Dream Chaser is modeled after the retired U.S. Space Shuttle with a lifting-body design.
SNC is the prime contractor on RocketMotorTwo for Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo, and is designing the rocket engine for Scaled Composites. On April 29, 2013 SpaceShipTwo completed its first powered flight test using RocketMotorTwo, breaking the sound barrier.
- "About Sierra Nevada Corporation".
- Mark Sirangelo (2009-10-27). International Astronautical Congress 2009: Civilian Access to Space (video). Daejeon, Korea: Flightglobal Hyperbola, Rob Coppinger., video comments at 11:30 ff.
- Company at a glance
- "Fatih Ozmen, Sierra Nevada Corporation". SNC.
- AirForceTimes.com: Air Force stands by Gorgon Stare program, by Ben Iannotta - C4ISR Journal Writer, posted Tuesday Jan 25, 2011 14:15:59 EST
- "Sierra Nevada Corporation Acquires Space Dev Inc". SNC. December 16, 2008.
- "SNC receives largest award of NASA's CCDev Competitive Contract". SNC. February 1, 2010.
- Commercial Certification Process and Accomplishments, NASA, November 15, 2012, retrieved August 11, 2013
- NASA Announces Next Steps In Effort To Launch Americans From U.S. Soil
- PRWeb.com: Tuskegee University Joins Sierra Nevada Corporation’s Dream Chaser Team, by PRWeb, posted Tuesday Jul 24, 2014
- Space.com, "Virgin Galactic Pushes Private Spaceship Envelope in Test Flights", Leonard David, 10 June 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sierra Nevada Corporation.|