|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
Severodonetsk City Municipality
|• Total||50 km2 (20 sq mi)|
|Area code(s)||+380 6452(645)|
Sievierodonetsk (Ukrainian: Сєвєродонецьк; Russian: Северодонецк, Severodonetsk) is a city in the Luhansk Oblast (province) of south-eastern Ukraine. The city is designated as its own separate raion (district) within the oblast[clarification needed], and is located on the Seversky Donets River, approximately 110 km (68 mi) to the north north west from the oblast capital, Luhansk.
During the 2014 pro-Russian conflict in Ukraine the town was captured late May 2014 by pro-Russian separatists. On 10 July 2014 the separatists claimed the town was shelled by the Ukrainian. army  Separatists responded with counter-battery artillery fire. On 21 July 2014, Ukrainian forces captured the city from the pro-Russian separatists. The next days heavy fighting continued around the town; on 23 July 2014 the National Guard of Ukraine and the Ukrainian Army released a statement that said they were "continuing the cleansing of Severodonetsk. Severodonetsk has been the acting administrative center of Luhansk Oblast due to Luhansk being occupied by militants, similarly to Mariupol acting as the administrative center of Donetsk Oblast during the War in Donbass.
- 1939 – 5,000 inhabitants
- 1959 – 33,200 inhabitants
- 1970 – 90,000 inhabitants
- 1975 – 107,000 inhabitants
- 1991 - 131,000 inhabitants
- 2009 – 121,000 inhabitants
- CAS "Azot" – the largest chemical plant in Europe
- «Khimpostavschik» private enterprise.
- «Himexelen, Ltd.»
- "The President instructed the Head of the Donetsk Regional State Administration to relocate temporarily the administration office to Mariupol". President of Ukraine, official website.
- "In Severodonetsk, Petro Poroshenko presented Luhansk RSA Head Hennadiy Moskal". President of Ukraine, official website.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Syevyerodonetsk.|
|This article about a location in Luhansk Oblast is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|