Sigma Psi Zeta
|Sigma Psi Zeta|
|Founded||March 23, 1994
University at Albany
|Motto||True to our colors red and gold;
Sisters forever heart and soul.
|Colors||Red and Gold|
|Flower||Yellow Rose with Baby's Breath|
|Philanthropy||To Combat Violence Against Women|
Sigma Psi Zeta (ΣΨΖ) is a Multicultural, Asian-Interest sorority. It was founded on March 23, 1994 at the University at Albany and incorporated in New York on March 15, 1996 by the 10 Founding Mothers. The sorority's colors are red and gold and its flower is a yellow rose with baby's breath.
Sigma Psi Zeta is a cultural, social, educational and community-service–oriented Greek organization. It is the third largest Asian Interest sorority in the nation. Its philanthropic focus is to combat domestic violence against women in its various forms. On a national level, Sigma Psi Zeta has adopted the New York Asian Women's Center as its adopted shelter.
Sigma Psi Zeta currently has active sisterships in the states/commonwealths of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, and Washington D.C. It has 30 sisterships in the United States.
Plans for the Sigma Psi Zeta sorority were formed in the Fall semester of 1993 at SUNY Albany by a group of female undergraduates from different backgrounds. The sorority was formed in part to address the dual difficulties faced by Asian women. On 23 March 1994 the sorority was officially recognized by the University. Within a year, a second chapter was formed at SUNY Binghamton.
The founding mothers were:
- Gina Han
- Sally Hsieh
- Jean Kim
- Jenny Kim
- Sandra Lam
- Winnie Liu
- Yan-Chieh Liu
- Michelle Macaraig
- Sung-Yon Noh
- Loan Trang
Since 1999 Sigma Psi Zeta's philanthropy has been to combat violence against women. The sorority has worked against violence against women in many forms, and has focused specifically on Asian women who are historically objectified and disempowered. Local chapters and colonies participate in events such as the Take Back The Night rallies, and the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence's Domestic Violence Awareness month.
- [Α] Alpha Chapter - University at Albany, The State University of New York - Albany, NY
- [Β] Beta Chapter - State University of New York at Binghamton - Binghamton, NY
- [Δ] Delta Chapter - University at Buffalo, The State University of New York - Buffalo, NY
- [H] Eta Chapter - State University of New York at Stony Brook - Stony Brook, NY
- [Θ] Theta Chapter - University of Massachusetts Amherst - Amherst, MA
- [I] Iota Chapter - University of Rochester - Rochester, NY
- [Λ] Lambda Chapter - University of Virginia - Charlottesville, VA
- [Ξ] Xi Chapter - University of Nebraska-Lincoln - Lincoln, NE
- [O] Omicron Chapter - Stanford University - Stanford, CA
- [Π] Pi Chapter - The George Washington University - Washington, D.C.
- [P] Rho Chapter - University of Washington - Seattle, WA
- [T] Tau Chapter - University of Maryland at College Park - College Park, MD
- [Y] Upsilon Chapter - University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA
- [Φ] Phi Chapter - University of Colorado at Boulder - Boulder, CO
- [K] Kappa Charter- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) - Blacksburg, VA
- [M] Mu Charter - State University of New York at Geneseo - Geneseo, NY
- [N] Nu Charter- Drexel University - Philadelphia, PA
- [AA] Alpha Alpha Charter - Yale University - New Haven, CT
- [AB] Alpha Beta Charter - Northwestern University - Evanston, IL
- [AΓ] Alpha Gamma Charter - Villanova University - Villanova, PA
- [AΔ] Alpha Delta Charter - Rutgers University - New Brunswick, NJ
- [AE] Alpha Epsilon Charter - University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign - Champaign, IL
- [AZ] Alpha Zeta Charter - University of the Sciences - Philadelphia, PA
- [AH] Alpha Eta Charter - New York City, NY
- [AΘ] Alpha Theta Charter - Wichita State University - Wichita, KS
- [AI] Alpha Iota Charter - University of California, Berkeley - Berkeley, CA
- [Γ] Gamma - Jamaica, NY
- [E] Epsilon - Oneonta, NY
- [Z] Zeta - New York, NY
- [X] Chi - Shippensburg, PA