|Operating system||Cross-platform, iOS, Android|
SignNow is a cloud-based provider of electronic signature and online notarization technology, developed in the United States. The company's Software-as-a-Service platform enables individuals and businesses to sign, notarize, and manage documents from any computer. The e-signature product is also available for free on iPhone, iPad, and Android devices, which lets you upload documents from your smartphone's e-mail, camera, or Dropbox account and tap to insert your signature.
The signatures within SignNow are legally recognized in the same way as traditional "wet ink" signatures as the company’s technology follows the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act signed into law by former President Bill Clinton in 2000, as well as the European Union’s Directive on eSignatures.
SignNow was founded in 2011 by Chris Hawkins and Andrew Ellis, and operates in Newport Beach, CA. The two saw an issue in signature and notary fraud, and set out to revolutionize use of e-signatures with a legally-binding way to add signatures to electronic documents of all sorts with authenticity, non-repudiation, and data integrity. It uses 256-bit SSL encryption to provide security to users.
To provide a resource explaining the development of signatures, the implementation of digital signatures, and the goals of signature, Hawkins wrote and published "A History of Signatures: From Cave Paintings to Robo-Signings" in March 2011. In that same month, SignNow raised $500,000 in financing from unnamed angel investors and then raised $2,000,000 lead by Khosla Ventures in March 2012.
On July 1, 2012, Virginia became the first state to authorize a signer to be in a remote location and have a document notarized electronically by an e-notary using audio-visual conference technology by passing the bills SB 827 and HB 2318. That same day, SignNow launched the first online notary product in the United States allowing people from all over the world to connect to a notary online.
In April 2013, Barracuda Networks acquired SignNow.
- Electronic Signature
- Uniform Electronic Transactions Act
- Uniform Real Property Electronic Recording Act
- "3 Great Digital Signature Apps". Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "SignNow Raises $500,000 For Upcoming E-Signature Service". Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- "SignNow Legal".
- "A History of Signatures: From Cave Paintings to Robo-Signings". Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- "Khosla Ventures Leads $2M Round In Mobile E-Signature Service SignNow". Retrieved 2012-03-06.
- "CHAPTER 834". Retrieved 2011-04-06.
- "Frequently Asked Questions About Becoming a Virginia Electronic Notary".
- "Making Online Notarization Legal". Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "The $98,000,000 Contract Inked on an iPad". Retrieved 2012-07-13.