Signature recognition is a behavioural biometric. It can be operated in two different ways:
Static: In this mode, users write their signature on paper, digitize it through an optical scanner or a camera, and the biometric system recognizes the signature analyzing its shape. This group is also known as “off-line”.
Dynamic: In this mode, users write their signature in a digitizing tablet, which acquires the signature in real time. Another possibility is the acquisition by means of stylus-operated PDAs. Dynamic recognition is also known as “on-line”. Dynamic information usually consists of the following information:
- spatial coordinate x(t)
- spatial coordinate y(t)
- pressure p(t)
- azimuth az(t)
- inclination in(t)
- pen up/down
The state-of-the-art in signature recognition can be found in the last major international competition.
The most popular pattern recognition techniques applied for signature recognition are dynamic time warping, hidden Markov models and vector quantization. Combinations of different techniques also exist.
- Houmani, Nesmaa; A. Mayoue, S. Garcia-Salicetti, B. Dorizzi, M.I. Khalil, M. Mostafa, H. Abbas, Z.T. Kardkovàcs, D. Muramatsu, B. Yanikoglu, A. Kholmatov, M. Martinez-Diaz, J. Fierrez, J. Ortega-Garcia, J. Roure Alcobé, J. Fabregas, M. Faundez-Zanuy, J. M. Pascual-Gaspar, V. Cardeñoso-Payo, C. Vivaracho-Pascual (March 2012). "BioSecure signature evaluation campaign (BSEC'2009): Evaluating online signature algorithms depending on the quality of signatures". Pattern Recognition 45 (3): 993–1003. doi:10.1016/j.patcog.2011.08.008.
- Faundez-Zanuy, Marcos (2007). "On-line signature recognition based on VQ-DTW". Pattern recognition 40 (3): 981–992. doi:10.1016/j.patcog.2006.06.007.
- Chapran, J. (2006). "Biometric Writer Identification: Feature Analysis and Classification". International Journal of Pattern Recognition & Artificial Intelligence 20: 483–503. doi:10.1142/s0218001406004831.
- Yeung, D; , H., Xiong, Y., George, S., Kashi, R., Matsumoto, T., Rigoll, G. (2004). "SVC2004: First international signature verification competition". Lecture Notes in Computer Science. LNCS-3072: 16–22.
- Ortega-Garcia, Javier; J. Fierrez, D. Simon, J. Gonzalez, M. Faúndez-Zanuy, V. Espinosa, A. Satue, I. Hernaez, J.-J. Igarza, C. Vivaracho, D. Escudero, Q.-I. Moro. "MCYT Baseline Corpus: A Multimodal Biometric Database". IEE Proceedings - Vision, Image and Signal Processing 150: 395–401. doi:10.1049/ip-vis:20031078.