Signe Baumane (born August 7, 1964) is a Latvian animator, fine artist, illustrator and writer, currently living and working in New York City. A member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, she was a 2005 Fellow in Film of the New York Foundation for the Arts. She is also a teacher, having taught animation at the Pratt Institute from 2000 to 2002.
Signe Baumane was born in Auce, Latvia, and grew up in Tukums, Latvia and Sakhalin Island. She was married to Yuriy Gavrilenko, an artist and impresario, and Lasse Persson, a Swedish animator. She began writing for publication at the age of 14. She attended Moscow University and graduated in 1989 with a BA in Philosophy.
She began working as an animator in 1989, taking a position as animator at Dauka Animation Studio. Over the next several years, local television aired several animated commercials that Baumane had designed and directed. In 1991 she produced her first animated film, The Witch and the Cow, of which she was the scriptwriter, director, designer, and animator.
Following a two year stint as a children's book illustrator in Moscow, she returned to animation, illustration and stage design in 1993 in Riga. She relocated to New York City in September 1995, finding work with Bill Plympton as production manager, color stylist, and cel painter the following January.
Signe has initiated and curated a number of independent animation programs and along with Patrick Smith and Bill Plympton is the organizing core of Square Footage Films, a group of New York independent animators that self-publishes and distributes DVDs of their own work. 
Besides doing animation, Baumane is a fine artist, and has produced numerous paintings and sculptures, and has also worked as an illustrator for children's books.
- The Witch And The Cow (1991)
- Tiny Shoes (1993)
- The Gold Of The Tigers (1995)
- Love Story (1998)
- The Threatened One (1999)
- Natasha (2001)
- Five Fucking Fables (2002)
- Woman (2002)
- Dentist (2005)
- Five Infomercials For Dentists (2005)
- Teat Beat Of Sex (2007)
- Veterinarian (2007)
- The Very First Desire Now and Forever (2007)
- Teat Beat Of Sex: Episodes 8,9,19,11 (2007)
- Birth (2009)
- Rocks in My Pockets (2014)
- Signe Baumane web site, biography
- Chris Robinson: Unsung Heroes of Animation, pp. 200-206
- Square Footage Films web site accessed on February 5, 2010
- Signe Baumane, section of online art gallery accessed February 2, 2010