New York City, New York
Sigrid Nunez (born 1951) is an American writer.
Sigrid Nunez is the daughter of a Chinese-Panamanian father and a German mother. She was born and raised in New York City. She received her BA from Barnard College and her MFA from Columbia University. After finishing school she worked for a time as an editorial assistant at The New York Review of Books. She has taught at Amherst College, Smith College, Columbia University and the New School, and has been a visiting writer at Baruch College, Washington University, Vassar College and the University of California, Irvine, among others. She has also been on the faculty of the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference and of several other writers' conferences across the United States. In fall 2014 she will teach a course in the Creative Writing Program at Boston University. Nunez lives in New York City.
Nunez is the author of six novels: A Feather on the Breath of God, Naked Sleeper, Mitz: The Marmoset of Bloomsbury, For Rouenna, The Last of Her Kind, and Salvation City. She is also the author of Sempre Susan: A Memoir of Susan Sontag. Her work has appeared in several anthologies, including three Pushcart Prize volumes and four volumes of Asian American literature. Among the journals she has contributed to are The New York Times, Harper's, McSweeney's, The Believer, The Threepenny Review, Tin House, and O: The Oprah Magazine.
Nunez's major preoccupations as a novelist have been language, memory, identity, class, and writing itself. She was a Berlin Prize Fellow at the American Academy in Berlin in spring, 2005. Among her other honors are a Whiting Writers' Award and two awards from the American Academy of Arts and Letters: the Richard and Hinda Rosenthal Foundation Award and the Rome Prize in Literature. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- A Feather on the Breath of God (1995)
- Naked Sleeper (1996)
- Mitz: The Marmoset of Bloomsbury (1998)
- For Rouenna (2001)
- The Last of Her Kind (2006) . En français : Et nos yeux doivent accueillir l'aurore Ed. Rue Fromentin 2014
- Salvation City (2010)
- Sempre Susan: A Memoir of Susan Sontag (2011)
Critical studies and reviews
- Rose, Peter (September 2011). "In the ring with Susan Sontag". Australian Book Review 334: 20–21.
- "The Artist's Life: Sigrid Nunez," New York Foundation for the Arts, 2011
- "Sempre Susan," The New York Review of Books, 14 July 2011
- "Sempre Susan," The Los Angeles Times Book Review, 8 May 2011
- "Sempre Susan," The Economist, 14 April 2011
- "Salvation City," NY Times Book Review, 3 Oct 2010
- "Interview," Bookslut, Oct 2010
- "Interview," NPR, 30 Sep 2010
- "The Last of Her Kind," by Andrew O'Hehir at Salon.com 8 Feb 2006
- "The Last of Her Kind," NY Times review, 1 Jan 2006
- "Writer's Block," Wall Street Journal, 31 Dec 2005