Silas A. Holcomb
|Silas A. Holcomb|
|9th Governor of Nebraska|
January 3, 1895 – January 5, 1899
|Preceded by||Lorenzo Crounse|
|Succeeded by||William A. Poynter|
|Born||August 25, 1858
Gibson County, Indiana
|Died||April 25, 1920
Broken Bow, Nebraska
Silas Alexander Holcomb (August 25, 1858 – April 25, 1920) was a Nebraska lawyer and politician elected as the ninth Governor of Nebraska and serving from 1895 to 1899. He ran under a fusion ticket between the Populist and the Democratic Party.
Holcomb was born in Gibson County, Indiana, helped on the family farm and went to the local schools in winter. At age seventeen, he began to teach school. After his father's death in 1878, but in 1879, he moved with mother and siblings to Hamilton County, Nebraska. He worked in Thummel & Platt law office in Grand Island and was admitted to the Nebraska bar in 1882. On April 13, 1882, he married Martha Alice Brinson in Mills County, Iowa. They moved to Broken Bow where he farmed and practiced law.
From 1891 to 1894, Holcomb served as a 12th District judge. In 1894, with the support of William Jennings Bryan, he was elected Governor of Nebraska. He was re-elected in 1896. During his tenure, sounder financial policies were initiated and corruption and mismanagement in the state treasurer's office was addressed; reforms in state government programs were initiated. Following his years as governor, Holcomb was appointed a justice on the Nebraska Supreme Court in 1900. From 1904 to 1906, he served as chief justice. He left the Court in 1906, but then he served on the Nebraska Board of Commissioners of State Institutions from 1913 until his failing health made it necessary for him to resign.
Holcomb moved to Bellingham, Washington, where he lived with his daughter until his death on April 25, 1920. Holcomb's body was returned to Nebraska and he is interred at Broken Bow Cemetery, Broken Bow, Custer County, Nebraska USA.
- "Silas A. Holcomb". Semi-Centennial History of Nebraska. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Silas Alexander Holcomb". The Encyclopedia of Nebraska. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Silas A. Holcomb". National Governors Association. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Silas A. Holcomb". The Encyclopedia of Nebraska. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Silas A. Holcomb". Find A Grave. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silas A. Holcomb.|
- Gov. Silas Holcomb papers at the Nebraska State Historical Society. Retrieved on 2009-07-06.
- The Political Graveyard
- Find A Grave
- National Governors Association
- Semi-Centennial History of Nebraska
|Governor of Nebraska
William A. Poynter