Silent Hunter II
|Silent Hunter II|
|Developer(s)||Aeon Electronic Entertainment
|Release date(s)||November 5, 2001|
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer|
Silent Hunter II is a WWII U-boat combat simulation from Ubisoft for Windows 95/98/ME. It was originally being developed by Aeon Electronic Entertainment, the developers of Silent Hunter, but they had to leave the project unfinished, and Ultimation Inc. finished it. After considerable delays it was released in November 2001. Silent Hunter II gives the player the command of a U-boat during the Second Battle of the Atlantic.
The game offers single-player and multiplayer missions.
In addition to some separate single-player missions, they also come as a string in the theme of "U-boat highlights", allowing the player to re-experience such well-known adventures as sinking the HMS Avenger as U-155, retrieving the war diary from the Bismarck and Operation Drumbeat against American shipping.
Silent Hunter II was developed with multi-player support as a notable feature. Players were able to connect with other Silent Hunter II players, and engage in sub vs. sub combat; also, connectivity to the separate game Destroyer Command (also released by Ubisoft) was available, which enabled sub and surface ship combat.
After release, instability with the multiplayer feature was found to be commonplace, yet Ubisoft never released an official patch to resolve this issue. An unofficial patch (authorized by Ubisoft) called Projekt Messerwetzer was worked up by fans of Subsim.com.
- Silent Hunter, released in 1996.
- Silent Hunter III, released in 2005.
- Silent Hunter 4, released in 2007.
- Silent Hunter V, released in 2010
- Aces of the Deep, an older U-boat game, released 1994.
- "Technical Advisor". Silent Hunter II. Retrieved 2007-10-26.
- Trotter, William (2003-05-01). "Projekt Messerwetzer in the Press". PC Gamer. subsim.com. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
Skilled volunteers and playtesters rallied to the call [...] a free 5MB to 6MB patch that will be finally polished and playtested. The original crippling flaw, multiplayer instability, has been dramatically minimized [...]
- "Silent Hunter II for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- "Silent Hunter II for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- Babovic, Branislav "Bane" (2001-12-03). "Silent Hunter II Review". ActionTrip. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- Chick, Tom (2001-11-14). "Silent Hunter II Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- Hiles, Bill (2001-11-25). "Silent Hunter II (PC)". GameSpy. Archived from the original on 2005-02-17. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- Ovaldog (2001-12-03). "Silent Hunter II Review - PC". GameZone. Archived from the original on 2008-12-11. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- Butts, Steve (2001-11-14). "Silent Hunter II". IGN. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- Klett, Steve (February 2002). "Silent Hunter II". PC Gamer: 71. Archived from the original on 2006-03-15. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
- "Silent Hunter II". PC Zone. 2002.
- Silent Hunter II at MobyGames
- Projekt Messerwetzer An unofficial multiplayer upgrade for Silent Hunter II
- SubSim.com Fan site and home of the famed Silent Hunter II: Pacific Aces Mod.