Silent Scream (1980 film)
|Directed by||Denny Harris|
|Written by||Jim Wheat
Wallace E. Bennett
|Running time||87 minutes|
|Box office||$7.9 million (rentals)|
Silent Scream is a 1980 horror film written by Jim and Ken Wheat, and Wallace E. Bennett, directed by Denny Harris and starring Rebecca Balding, Cameron Mitchell, Barbara Steele and Yvonne De Carlo. The film's tagline is "Terror so sudden there is no time to scream".
Four college students, unable to find on-campus housing, take up residence in Mrs Engels's (De Carlo) hilltop mansion, where she lives with her strange son, Mason (Reardon), and her daughter, Victoria (Steele), whom Mrs Engels secretly keeps hidden in the attic, a botched lobotomy having left her mute and homicidal. After one of the students is found dead, a police investigation is launched, which uncovers the history of the mansion and its owners, as the remaining students become endangered.
- Rebecca Balding – Scotty Parker
- Cameron Mitchell – Lt. Sandy McGiver
- Avery Schreiber – Sgt. Manny Ruggin
- Barbara Steele – Victoria Engels
- Steve Doubet – Jack Towne
- Brad Rearden – Mason Engels
- John Widelock – Peter Ransom
- Juli Andelman – Doris Prichart
- Yvonne De Carlo – Mrs. Engels
- Jack Stryker – Police Chief
- Thelma Pelish – Housing Lady
- Tina Tyler – Victoria at 16
- Jason Zahler – Mason at 3
- Annabella Price – TV Rape Victim
- Joe Pronto – TV Rapist
- Joan Lemmo – Rooming House Lady
- Ernie Potvin – Boarding House Husband
- Virginia Rose – Boarding House Wife
- Ina Gould – Landlady
- Rachel Bard – Nurse in Psycho Ward
The film had a tumultuous post-production process where a large portion of the film was re-shot.
- Richard Nowell, Blood Money: A History of the First Teen Slasher Film Cycle Continuum, 2011 p 257
- Brantley, Ben. "Silent Scream (1980)". The New York Times: Movies. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- GroovyDoom: Silent Scream (1980) (extended plot summary and review)
- New DVD Label Arrives with a Silent Scream
- "Silent Scream (1980)". dvddrive-in.com. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- Scheib, Richard (1998). "The Silent Scream (1980)". The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review. Archived from the original on 2007-10-20. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- "Company Credits for The Silent Scream". imdb.com. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- "Silent Scream (1980)". allmovie.com. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- "Silent Scream (1980)". Variety. Retrieved 2008-01-03.[dead link]
- "Silent Scream (DVD)". scorpionreleasing.com. Retrieved 2011-04-13.