The region is considered the second- or third-largest tech hub in the world, according to various reports. Major tech companies in the region include Google, Yahoo, YouTube, BuzzFeed, AOL, EdgeCast Networks, and MySpace.
Silicon Beach is also home to a number of start-up incubators and accelerators, such as Launchpad LA, Amplify.LA, Science, and StartEngine. Several world-class universities, such as University of Southern California, UCLA, Pepperdine University, Azusa Pacific University, and Loyola Marymount University are situated within the region. In the first six months of 2013, start-ups in Silicon Beach raised over $500 million in funding, and there were 94 new start-ups and 9 acquisitions.
It was first used in the USA in 1984 to refer to the San Diego, California region when the company Silicon Beach Software was formed. The founder, Charlie Jackson, is credited with coining the term Silicon Beach.
The term has also been used in Australia to describe that country's internet technology community, and was first used so on July 27, 2008 However, due to a lack of capital, its value is 100 times lesser than that of the Californian Silicon Beach.
List of startups based in Silicon Beach
|Snapchat||2011||Social Media||$3 Billion |
|Hulu||2007||Television Streaming Services||$100M |
|Nasty Gal||2006||$49M |
|Gradient X||2013||$3.75M |
|The Honest Company|
|BCG Digital Ventures|
|WeezLabs||2008||Mobile Application Development|
|Dollar Shave Club||2011||Consumer packaged goods||$22.8M|
|The Bouqs Company||2012||Floral||$1.1M|
|ConsumerTrack, Inc||2004||Internet Marketing||$30M|
- "Silicon Beach emerges as a tech hotbed". USA Today. 2012-07-15.
- "Startup Genome Ranks The World’s Top Startup Ecosystems: Silicon Valley, Tel Aviv & L.A. Lead The Way". TechCrunch. 2012-11-20.
- "A list of top LA accelerators and incubators".
- "Over $500M Raised by 92 LA Startups in the First Half of 2013".
- "Silicon Beach Australia". 2008-07-28. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- Kohler, Alan (21 November 2012). "Australia's "Silicon Beach" is no Entrepreneurs Paradise". ABC.
- RenewU Profile on CrunchBase
- Crook, Jordan (November 6, 2013). "The Snapchat Co-Founder Lawsuit Drama Drags On". TechCrunch. AOL, Inc. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
- Hulu Profile on CrunchBase
- Nasty Gal Profile on CrunchBase
- Eventup Profile on CrunchBase
- Beachmint Profile on CrunchBase
- Gradient-X Profile on CrunchBase
- Kuapay Profile on CrunchBase
- Dollar Shave Club Profile on CrunchBase
- The Bouqs Company Profile on CrunchBase
- Lawler, Ryan. "Digital Display Startup Enplug Raises $2.5 Million Seed Round". TechCrunch. AOL. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- Smith, Samantha. "LA Startup Goes from 0 to 100mph In Three Months". Forbes. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "TheBouqs.com Raises $6 Million to Deliver ‘Farm-to-Table’ Bouquets". Venture Capital Dispatch. Wall Street Journal. June 26, 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- TrueCar Profile on CrunchBase
- ConsumerTrack, Inc Profile on Wikipedia
- Foord, Celine (October 9, 2014). "ConsumerTrack President Jeff Bartlett to Talk Entrepreneurship at 2014 Innovation Week LA". PR Newswire. Retrieved October 9, 2014.