Silje Nergaard at Lantaren/Venster, Rotterdam
June 19, 1966 |
Silje Nergaard (born 19 June 1966, in Steinkjer, Norway) is a Norwegian jazz vocalist and songwriter. She is also one of the most sold jazz artists ever on the official sales chart in Norway. She became world famous after the release of international bestseller Tell Me Where You're Going, featuring Pat Metheny on guitar.
Nergaard entered the music scene at the age of 16, and her first hit single "Tell Me Where You're Going" made it to no. 1 in Japan as well as top 10 in Norway and other countries. Her album At First Light (2001) is the best-selling Norwegian jazz album ever, and entered the official sales chart in Norway at no. 1 in its first week. The album A Thousand True Stories, which Nergaard recorded with the Metropole Orchestra of the Netherlands in 2008, was a great success in both Europe and Asia. Nergaard is one of the few Norwegian artists to have been commercially released all around the globe, on most continents and major music markets including Japan, Brazil, Germany, the United States, and the United Kingdom.
Nergaard has recorded and performed songs with Al Jarreau, Pat Metheny, Toots Thielemanns, Morten Harket of A-ha, and many more. She has had Tord Gustavsen and Jarle Vespestad as two pillars in her bands. Vince Mendoza received a Grammy Nomination for the Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) Award for the song "A Thousand True Stories" in 2011.
In the spring of 2012, Nergaard released her new album Unclouded, based on recordings with her two guitarists Hallgrim Bratberg and Håvar Bendiksen. It was released on March 9 in Norway and March 23 internationally. Nergaard has written 9 new songs for Unclouded and has two covers on this album: "Human" by The Killers and "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress." For Unclouded, Nergaard has also invited the American guitarist John Scofield to contribute along with Jojje Wadenius, Knut Reiersrud, and Nils Petter Molvær, among others.
She is married to the singer Heine Totland.
- Tell Me Where You're Going (1990)
- Silje (1991)
- Cow on the Highway (1995)
- Brevet (1995)
- Hjemmefra - From Home (1996)
- Port of Call (2000)
- At First Light (2001)
- Nightwatch (2003)
- Darkness Out of Blue (2007)
- A Thousand True Stories (2009)
- If I Could Wrap Up a Kiss (2010)
- Unclouded (2012)
- Compilation album
- Be Still My Heart - The Essential (2005)
- Live album
- Live in Koln (2005)
- Your Guide To The North Sea Jazz Festival (2006), various artists - on the track «We Should Be Happier» in duo with Al Jarreau
- "Silje Nergaard Biography - Store Norske Leksikon".
- Alspaugh, Emmanuelle (2006-02-07). Fodor's Norway. Random House Digital, Inc. pp. 52–. ISBN 9781400016143. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Tell Me Where You're Going". (feat. Pat Metheny) - Last.fm
- Mergner, Lee (2010-12-02). "Jazz-related Grammy Nominations Announced". JazzTimes. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Silje Nergaard". Discographien.de. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Various – Your Guide To The North Sea Jazz Festival 2006". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
|Recipient of the Spellemannprisen
as This year's Spellemann
Live Maria Roggen
|Recipient of the Jazz Gammleng-prisen