Silver Beaver Award
|Silver Beaver Award|
Medal and knot
|Owner||Boy Scouts of America|
|Awarded for||Distinguished service to young people within a BSA local council|
The Silver Beaver Award is the council-level distinguished service award of the Boy Scouts of America. Recipients of this award are registered adult leaders who have made an impact on the lives of youth through service given to the council. The Silver Beaver is an award given to those who implement the Scouting program and perform community service through hard work, self-sacrifice, dedication, and many years of service. It is given to those who do not actively seek it.
The medal consists of a silver beaver pendant suspended from a blue and white ribbon worn around the neck. Recipients may wear the corresponding square knot, with a white strand over a blue strand, on the BSA uniform.
The Silver Beaver was introduced in 1931 as a pin-on medal, but due to the heavy weight of the medallion it was switched over to a neck ribbon in mid-1932. A blue-white-blue ribbon bar was introduced in 1934 for informal uniform wear. In 1946, ribbon bars were replaced by the current knot insignia.
The Silver Beaver was initially awarded only to men. The Silver Fawn Award, an equivalent for women, was awarded starting in 1971. It used the same knot insignia, but on a blue background, as women were mostly involved in Cub Scouting during this period. The Silver Fawn was discontinued and the Silver Beaver began to be awarded to women in 1974. A total of 2,455 Silver Fawns were awarded to outstanding women for support of Cub Scouting before the award was discontinued in 1974.
- Bronze Wolf Award for distinguished service to Scouting worldwide.
- Silver World Award for distinguishes service to Scouting worldwide.
- Silver Buffalo Award for distinguished service to Scouting at the national level in the United States.
- Silver Fish Award for distinguished service to Guiding at the national level in the United Kingdom.
- Silver Wolf Award for distinguished service to Scouting at the national level in the United Kingdom.
- Silver Antelope Award for distinguished service to Scouting at the regional level in the United States.
- "Distinguished Service Awards". Fact Sheets. Boy Scouts of America. Retrieved 2007-04-10.
- "Silver Outranks Gold". Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- "Ask the Expert: Why does silver outrank gold in Scouting awards?". Retrieved 2011-11-11.
- Mitch Reis. "Silver Beaver Medals". Boy Scout Memorabilia, Patches And Collectibles Home Page. Retrieved 2007-04-10.
- "Illustrated History of BSA Square Knot Evolution and Private Issues". SageVenture. Retrieved 2007-08-02.
- "The Silver Fawn Medal". The Virtual Cub Leader's Handbook. Archived from the original on 2009-10-26. Retrieved 2008-04-12.