Silver Spoon (manga)
Cover of the first volume of "Silver Spoon" featuring main character Yugo Hachiken.
(Gin no Saji)
|Genre||Educational, Slice of Life|
|Written by||Hiromu Arakawa|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||May 2011 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Tomohiko Ito, Kotomi Deai|
|Written by||Taku Kishimoto|
|Music by||Shusei Murai|
|Network||Fuji TV (noitaminA)|
|Original run||July 11, 2013 – September 19, 2013|
|Anime television series|
|Silver Spoon 2|
|Directed by||Tomohiko Ito, Kotomi Deai|
|Written by||Taku Kishimoto|
|Music by||Shusei Murai|
|Network||Fuji TV (noitaminA)|
|Original run||January 2014 – scheduled|
Silver Spoon (銀の匙 Gin no Saji ) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hiromu Arakawa, set in the fictional Oezo Agricultural High School (大蝦夷農業高等学校 Ōezo Nōgyō Kōtō Gakkō ) in Hokkaido. It depicts the daily life of Yugo Hachiken, a student from Sapporo who enrolled into Yezo fleeing from the high demands of his strict father. However, he soon learns that life on an agricultural school will be not as easy as he believed. Unlike his new classmates, he has no intention of following an agricultural career after graduating, although he envies them for already having set goals for their lives and the pursue of their dreams, unlike him.
Influenced by Arakawa's own life experience as she was raised in a dairy farm in Hokkaido, the manga was launched on the 19th issue of Shogakukan's Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine on April 6, featured on the cover. It became one of the magazine's main features not long after.
An anime adaptation has been produced by A-1 Pictures; its first season started airing on July 11, 2013 on Fuji TV's noitaminA block, and the second season will air on January 2014 also on Fuji TV's noitaminA block. A live-action film based on the manga is under production by Toho and scheduled for release sometime in 2014.
- Yugo Hachiken (八軒 勇吾 Hachiken Yūgo )
- Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura
- The main protagonist, Yugo is a city boy from Sapporo. After failing to pass the entrance exams for the high school of his preference, Yugo decided to enroll at Yezo instead, believing that an easier academic course would leave him with more time to prepare for college exams. However, the agricultural courses' demand for hard labor proved his assumptions wrong. Due to his father's strict upbringing, he is somehow unable to refuse when someone needs his help. Despite complaining a lot when he feels people are abusing of his generosity, Yugo quickly earns the friendship and respect of his peers for his rationality and intellect. Shortly after enrolling, Yugo joins the Equestrian Club along his classmate Aki, soon rising to the position of vice-president due to his reliable nature. Yugo is usually anxious about his future as, unlike his classmates who already have set their goals in life, he is still wondering about what career he should choose. Much of Yugo's animosity towards his family is a result of being compared to his more successful older brother, Shingo, and the uncaring hostility of his father. Recently, Yugo has begun to personally tutor Aki to help her get into a good university.
- Aki Mikage (御影 アキ Mikage Aki )
- Voiced by: Marie Miyake
- Aki is a first year who is also a member of the Equestrian Club and Yugo's love interest. As the only child of her family, she entered Yezo to study so that she would inherit her family business, a cow and horse farm specializing in raising Ban'ei race horses. Aki usually has a cheerful and positive attitude and she eventually develops feelings for Yugo. Her father is very protective and is wary of her relationship with Yugo at first, but after some time starts seeing him as a man worthy of becoming her husband, just like the rest of her family. Later her family experiences financial difficulties and is forced to sell all their horses to make ends meet. After this event Aki confesses her true desires for the future, and encouraged by Yugo, expresses her will to not inherit the farm and work with horses professionally instead. Thus she starts studying to enter college with Yugo as her personal tutor. A curious trait of Aki's is that she is so enthusiastic about horses that she can easily memorize every fact related to them, thus Yugo makes use of it to help with her studies.
- Ichiro Komaba (駒場 一郎 Komaba Ichirō )
- Voiced by: Tooru Sakurai
- One of Yugo's close friends at Yezo and a skilled baseball player, he is Aki's childhood friend and neighbor, and their closeness was initially a constant source of jealousy for Yugo. Ichiro's family owns a small dairy farm, which he manages with his mother and younger twin sisters. Ichiro dreams of becoming a professional ball player so he can use the money he earns in the league to improve his family's farm. However, his family goes bankrupt and their farm is sold to pay their debt. As a result, he is forced to quit Yezo and look for a job to make ends meet and support his mother and sisters.
- Shinnosuke Aikawa (相川 進之介 Aikawa Shinnosuke )
- Voiced by: Nobunaga Shimazaki
- Another close friend of Yugo, Shinnosuke aims to become a veterinarian after graduation. His goal, however, is complicated by his tendency to faint at the sight of blood. He is a member of the Holstein Club.
- Tamako Inada (稲田 多摩子 Inada Tamako )
- Voiced by: Ayahi Takagaki
- A wealthy classmate of Yugo whose family runs a huge industrial farm. She is usually an obese girl, but under the extra fat she hides a quite beautiful figure that reveals itself occasionally when she works too hard or gets herself into a quick diet. However she feels too weak when she is thinner and it is just a matter of time for her to regain all the weight she had previously lost. Obsessed with money, Tamako's goal is to take over her family's farm (humorously depicted as a 'hostile takeover' by her parents), and expand it and make it more profitable.
- Keiji Tokiwa (常盤 恵次 Tokiwa Keiji )
- Voiced by: Masayuki Shoji
- A close friend of Yugo who has a talent to put himself in trouble due to his difficulty to study and his habit to jump too quickly into conclusions, much to his friends' chagrin. His family owns a chicken farm.
- Shingo Hachiken (八軒 慎吾 Hachiken Shingo )
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi
- Yugo's older brother who managed to get accepted to the University of Tokyo, known as the most prestigious university in Japan. However, Shingo later quit once he realized his father's dream was having one of his sons accepted there. He decides to pursue his own dream of becoming a great cook, and travels the country to perfect his cooking skills, often with humorously questionable results. He often drops by Yezo unannounced to check on Yugo, since Yugo usually refuses to talk with his family. Shingo is carefree and outgoing which is often a source of animosity from Yugo. Recently Shingo 'met' Alexandra, a Russian girl after crashing his motorbike and ends up marrying her.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||July 15, 2011||ISBN 978-4-09-123180-2||-||—|
|2||December 14, 2011||ISBN 978-4-09-123427-8||-||—|
|3||April 18, 2012||ISBN 978-4-09-123653-1||-||—|
|4||July 18, 2012||ISBN 978-4-09-123772-9||-||—|
|5||October 18, 2012||ISBN 978-4-09-123886-3||-||—|
|6||January 18, 2013||ISBN 978-4-09-124169-6||-||—|
|7||20130418April 18, 2013||ISBN 978-4-09-124285-3||-||—|
|8||20130711July 11, 2013||ISBN 978-4-09-124346-1||-||—|
|9||20131018October 18, 2013||ISBN 978-4-09-124474-1||-||—|
Chapters not yet in tankōbon format
- "Wintertime 17" (冬の巻17 Fuyu no Maki 17 )
- "Wintertime 18" (冬の巻18 Fuyu no Maki 18 )
- "Wintertime 19" (冬の巻19 Fuyu no Maki 19 )
- "Wintertime 20" (冬の巻20 Fuyu no Maki 20 )
- "Wintertime 21" (冬の巻21 Fuyu no Maki 21 )
- "Wintertime 22" (冬の巻22 Fuyu no Maki 22 )
- "Wintertime 23" (冬の巻23 Fuyu no Maki 23 )
- "Wintertime 24" (冬の巻24 Fuyu no Maki 24 )
- "Wintertime 25" (冬の巻25 Fuyu no Maki 25 )
- "Wintertime 26" (冬の巻26 Fuyu no Maki 26 )
- "Wintertime 27" (冬の巻27 Fuyu no Maki 27 )
- "Wintertime 28" (冬の巻28 Fuyu no Maki 28 )
An anime series produced by A-1 Pictures started airing on July 11, 2013. Tomohiko Ito is directing the series with assistant director Kotomi Deai. Taku Kishimoto is writing the scripts, while Jun Nakai is serving as character designer and chief animation director, and Shusei Murai is scoring the music. The series will have two seasons with the second one to premiere on January 2014. For the first season, the opening theme is "Kiss you" by miwa, while the ending theme is "Hello Especially" by Sukima Switch. For the second season, the opening theme is "Life" by Fujifabric and the ending theme is "Oto no Naru Hō e" by Goose House.  The anime has been licensed by Aniplex of America for streaming in North America.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Welcome to Ezono!"
"Ezo no e, Yōkoso" (エゾノーへ、ようこそ)
|July 11, 2013|
|Running away from home, Yugo Hachiken leaves the urban life at Sapporo to enroll at the Ezo Agricultural High School and it does not take long for him to learn that adapting himself to his new environment will not be easy.|
|2||"Hachiken Rides a Horse"
"Hachiken, Uma ni Noru" (八軒、馬に乗る)
|July 18, 2013|
|Getting used to his new environment, Hachiken must enroll at one of the school clubs according to the curriculum, and encouraged by his classmate Aki Mikage, he ends up joining her at the equestrian club. However, he spends the day doing menial tasks like cleaning the stables and just when he is starting to regret his decision, he is invited to experience the joy of riding a horse for the first time.|
|3||"Hachiken Meets Pork-Bowl"
"Hachiken, Butadon to Deau" (八軒、豚丼と出会う)
|July 25, 2013|
|With most of the students on leave at Golden Week, Hachiken, Mikage and their classmate Ichiro Komaba watch a Ban'ei horse race together, and despite the horse bred at Mikage's farm do not win, she gets some relief learning that he gets well placed enough to have a chance of not being killed for livestock. After returning to the school, Hachiken pities a piglet that is the weakest and smallest among its siblings and giving him the nickname "Pork-Bowl" decides to take care of it, just to later know that it will be sent to the slaughterhouse in three months.|
|4||"Hachiken Makes Pizza"
"Hachiken, Piza o Yaku" (八軒、ピザを焼く)
|August 1, 2013|
|While on cleaning duty, Hachiken stumbles on an abandoned oven and his classmates convince him to make pizza with it, as most of them never ate one before. As Hachiken and his friends gather the necessary supplies throughout the campus, a teacher from his old school in Sapporo drops at Ezo to check on him.|
|5||"Hachiken Runs Away"
"Hachiken, Dassō suru" (八軒、脱走する)
|August 8, 2013|
|The boys take heed of a certain special event to be held at night and come with a plan to slip past curfew to get a glimpse of it. Having no idea about what is it or why his classmates are so pumped up with it, Hachiken ends up dragged along in their scheme.|
|6||"Hachiken Stays with the Mikages"
"Hachiken, Mikage Ie ni Iku" (八軒、御影家に行く)
|August 15, 2013|
|Hachiken learns that the dorms will be closed for summer vacation but refusing to return home, he accepts Mikage's offer to work at her family's farm. However, once realizing that he has not warned his parents about it, he looks for a place with cellphone signal until he gets lost and is rescued by Komaba.|
|7||"Hachiken Visits Giga Farm"
"Hachiken, Giga Fāmu e" (八軒、ギガファームへ)
|August 22, 2013|
|Hachiken and Mikage take a break from work and pay a visit to Giga Farm, a huge industrial farm that belongs to their classmate Tamako Inada's family. In the occasion, Hachiken learns about the rather harsh reality of the animals living there and realizes Mikage's worries about her family's expectations for her future.|
|8||"Hachiken Makes a Huge Mistake"
"Hachiken, Dai Shittai o Enjiru" (八軒、大失態を演じる)
|August 29, 2013|
|Hachiken's older brother Shingo pays a visit at the Mikage farm to check on him, much to his young brother's chagrin. Just as his part-time job is about to finish, Hachiken's carelesness lead to a huge prejudice to the farm and willing to take responsibility for it, refuses to be paid for his work, but he is convinced by the Mikages to accept as they consider that all the help he provided them during these three weeks were worth it despite what happened.|
|9||"Hachiken Hesitates Over Pork-Bowl"
"Hachiken, Butadon ni Mayou" (八軒、豚丼に迷う)
|September 5, 2013|
|Back from summer break, Hachiken learns that Pork-Bowl has not grown as much as its peers and takes extra measures to ensure that it gains weight faster, even knowing that this will make things even more painful for him when the time comes to part with it.|
|10||"Hachiken Bids Farewell to Pork-Bowl"
"Hachiken, Butadon to Wakareru" (八軒、豚丼と別れる)
|September 12, 2013|
|The time has come for Pork-Bowl to be sent to the slaughterhouse and Hachiken decides to make use of the money he earned during summer vacation to buy all its meat. After the meat is delivered to him, Hachiken's friends come with several ideas about what to do with it.|
|11||"Run Towards The Future, Hachiken!"
"Hashiridase, Hachiken" (走り出せ、八軒)
|September 19, 2013|
|The bacon Hachiken prepared with Pork-Bowl's meat becomes a fad among the students and it does not take long for it to run out. As Komaba plays in the local Baseball team aiming for the nationals, his friends come to the stadium to cheer for him and Hachiken realizes that six months has passed since he enrolled in Ezono and unlike his friends, he still has not decided what path he should take in life.|
Following the premiere of the anime series, evidence pointing to a Live Action Film based on the manga surfaced when Japanese studio Toho registered the website Ginsaji-movie.com and the Obihiro Tourism and Convention Bureau posted a casting call for extras on a film project on Wednesday. According to the casting call, the film is shooting in summer 2013 in the Tokachi area of Hokkaido (where the manga's story is set) in and around Obihiro City. Just like the manga, the film will be a "portrait of teens set in an agricultural high school." 
The film was officially announced at the Nikkan Sports and Sports Nippon newspapers on August 7, 2013. Confirmed members of the cast include Nakajima Kento playing Yugo Hachiken, Alice Hirose as Aki Mikage and Tomohiro Ichikawa as Ichiro Komaba. Keisuke Yoshida is directing the film with the production companies TBS and Wilco and the distributor Toho.
Since its first volume, Silver Spoon had been well received by readers. It became the fastest Shogakukan title to reach the mark of one million first printing copies, a year and three months after the manga was launched. According to Oricon, it was also the 7th best-selling manga in Japan in 2012, and the top selling title from Shogakukan, as well as the top selling title of 2012 not yet to have an anime adaption. By October 2013 it has sold 12 million copies in Japan.
- "FMA's Hiromu Arakawa Starts Silver Spoon School Manga - News". Anime News Network. 2012-01-22. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "Hiromu Arakawa's Silver Spoon Manga Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. 2012-12-28. Retrieved 2012-12-28.
- "Galileo Donna Anime by Kite's Umetsu to Air on Noitamina". Anime News Network. 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- "銀の匙 1" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "銀の匙 2" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "銀の匙 3" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "銀の匙 4" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "銀の匙 5" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "銀の匙 6" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "銀の匙 7" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- "銀の匙 8" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- "銀の匙 9" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- "New Silver Spoon TV Ad Previews miwa, Sukima Switch's Theme Songs". Anime News Network. June 13, 2013.
- "Rock Band Fujifabric Performs 2nd Silver Spoon Opening". Anime News Network. November 27, 2013.
- "Toho Registers 'Ginsaji-movie.com' Domain". Anime News Network. July 7, 2012.
- "Silver Spoon Is Shogakukan's Fastest With 1-Million 1st Printing". Anime News Network. July 11, 2012.
- "30 Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2012". Anime News Network. December 2, 2012.
- "Live-Action Silver Spoon Film's Teaser Streamed". Anime News Network. October 26, 2013.
- "Hiromu Arakawa's Silver Spoon Wins 5th Manga Taisho Award". Anime News Network. March 23, 2012.
- "Silver Spoon, I Am a Hero Win Shogakukan Manga Awards". Anime News Network. March 10, 2013.