Silverspring entrance sign
Silverspring location map
|Suburban Development Area||University Heights|
|• Type||Municipal (Ward 10)|
|• Administrative body||Saskatoon City Council|
|• Councillor||Zach Jeffries|
|• MLA||Ken Cheveldayoff|
|• MP||Brad Trost|
|• Total||1.78 km2 (0.69 sq mi)|
|• Average Income||$85,084|
|Time zone||UTC (UTC-6)|
|City of Saskatoon Neighborhoods|
Silverspring is a residential neighbourhood located in northeast Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. It is a suburban subdivision, composed mostly of low-density, single detached houses. As of 2007, the area is home to 4,936 residents. The neighbourhood is considered a high income area, with an average family income of $85,084, an average dwelling value of $322,670 and a home ownership rate of 97.8%. According to MLS data, the average sale price of a home as of 2013 was $407,171.
The majority of Silverspring was constructed during the late 1980s and through the 1990s, on land formerly administered by the University of Saskatchewan. The land for the Silverspring community was annexed between 1955, and 1959; however, the majority of residential building construction was done after 1991, and a small amount of construction was just one decade before this.
Notable Saskatoon athletes and contributors to the sports world had roadways of Silverspring named in their honour. They include Diane Jones Konihowski, Hal Laycoe, Catriona Le May Doan and Vera Pezer.
Government and politics
Silverspring exists within the federal electoral district of Saskatoon—Humboldt. It is currently represented by Brad Trost of the Conservative Party of Canada, first elected in 2004 and re-elected in 2006.
In Saskatoon's non-partisan municipal politics, Silverspring lies within ward 10. It is currently represented by Zach Jeffries, first elected in 2012.
|610 Konihowski Road
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7S 1M5
|School type||Public Elementary|
|School district||Saskatoon Public School Division|
|Vice principal||Jordan Carlson|
|Classes offered||Kindergarten to Grade 8|
|Mother Teresa School|
|738 Konihowski Road
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, S7S 1M4
|School type||Separate Elementary|
|School board||Greater Saskatoon Catholic School Division|
|Vice principal||Gerspacher, C.|
|Grades||Kindergarten to Grade 8|
|Website||Mother Teresa School|
- Silverspring School - public elementary, part of the Saskatoon Public School Division
- Mother Teresa School - separate (Catholic) elementary, part of the Greater Saskatoon Catholic School Division
- Adjacent to University of Saskatchewan lands, with some U of S lecture and research facilities located across Central Avenue from Silverspring (the main campus is several kilometres away).
Parks and recreation
- Christine Morris Park - 0.6 acres (0.24 ha)
- Dave King Park - 0.6 acres (0.24 ha)
- Silverspring Park - 19 acres (7.7 ha)
The Saskatoon Natural Grasslands is 34 acres (14 ha) of preserved, uncultivated prairie grassland. Many types of plants, such as grasses, lichens, wildflowers and fungi can be found in this ecosystem. The Saskatoon Nature Society acts as the steward for this natural area. Sutherland Beach, a popular park and off-leash area along the east shore of the South Saskatchewan River, is accessible via a roadway off Central Avenue immediately adjacent to Silverspring.
Silverspring is also immediately adjacent to the Forestry Farm Park and Zoo.
The Silverspring Community Association is involved in operating the community rink, organizing sports teams, and hosting a variety of events and activities.
At present, no parts of Silverspring have commercial development though a couple of lots on Central Avenue have been set aside for neighbourhood commercial. 103 home-based businesses exist in the area. The closest major commercial is the nearby University Heights commercial area accessed via Attridge Drive to the east, and the Preston Crossing big box development to the west.
Silverspring is located within the University Heights Suburban Development Area. It is bounded by Agra Road to the north, Attridge Drive to the south, Central Avenue to the west, and the Saskatoon Forestry Farm Park and Zoo to the east. City maps show Agra Road replaced by a new arterial named Fedoruk Road as the northern boundary, as of 2015, a portion of Fedoruk from Konihowski to Zary Road in Evergreen has been constructed; it will eventually form the northern boundary of both Silverspring and adjacent Evergreen communities.
||U of S Lands - North Management Area||University Heights Development Area||Evergreen|
|U of S Lands - North Management Area||Forestry Farm Park and Zoo
|Sutherland||Forest Grove||University Heights Suburban Centre|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silverspring.|
- "Silverspring neighbourhood profile - 2007" (PDF). City of Saskatoon. 2007. Retrieved 2010-04-20.
- Populace Spring 2006 8 (1), City of Saskatoon - City Planning Branch, Spring 2006, p. 5
- "Silverspring". Saskatoon Realty. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "Silverspring School". Saskatoon Public School Division. Retrieved 2010-04-20.
- "Mother Teresa School". Greater Saskatoon Catholic School Division. Retrieved 2010-04-20.
- "Saskatoon Natural Grasslands" (PDF). Meewasin Valley Authority. Retrieved 2010-04-20.
- "Saskatoon Nature Society President's Annual Report". Saskatoon Nature Society. Retrieved 2010-04-20.
- "Silverspring Community Association". City of Saskatoon. Retrieved 2010-04-20.