|Born||Silvia Milena Corzo Pinto
October 30, 1973
|Occupation||lawyer, journalist, news presenter|
|Notable credit(s)||Noticias Uno presenter (2011-present)
Séptimo día presenter (2007-2011),
Noticias Caracol presenter (2002-2011)
Her parents are Mario Corzo and Irene Pinto. After finishing high school, Silvia studied at the Universidad Autónoma de Bucaramanga, where she majored in Law. In 1995, during her fifth and final year of college, her family signed her up for the Señorita Santander ("Miss Santander") beauty contest, where she was the runner-up. She considers that if she had won, she would not have finished her college studies, but would have become a model, an actress or a housewife.
After graduating from college, Silvia hosted a radio show about human rights on the Universidad Industrial de Santander station, while working at the Bucaramanga branch of the National Ombudsman's Office. In 1997, she was offered to host a television show at the then brand new TRO local station.
She moved to Cali, after getting married. There, she worked at the Office of the Comptroller of the Department. At the same time, she hosted the Noticiero del Pacífico at Telepacífico on weekends. A new transfer of her then husband took her to Bogotá.
Since 16 December 2002, she was one of the news presenters at Noticias Caracol (at the time Caracol Noticias) newscast. At Noticias Caracol, Silvia managed –until early 2007– its health segments (previously in charge by Claudia Palacios, who left for CNN en Español in 2004), and between May 2007 and February 2008, presented the weather forecast at the 07:00 newscast. Corzo left Noticias Caracol for five weeks, but returned on 12 March 2008 at the 22:00 newscast. She was to leave because her son asked her to spend more time with him (see Personal life below), but according to one source, the network was flooded with calls from viewers asking for her return.
Since 18 April 2009 she hosted En todo su derecho, a specialized section on law, broadcast Saturdays and Sundays at the 12:30 newscast. In October 2009, after a brief contractual dispute, she was moved to the 12:30 weekday newscast and started to present the Código Caracol section for the 19:00 newscast.
On March 2011, Corzo announced, through her Twitter account, she would replace María Cristina Uribe as presenter of Canal Uno's Noticias Uno since June 2011. Her contract with Caracol TV expired late April 2011. On 4 June 2011, Corzo debuted on Noticias Uno.
Awards and acknowledgements
In 2004 she was nominated as the Female News Personality of the Year at the Premio INTE, because of her "warmness and reliability", and in 2005 she was awarded with the Premio Canal Caracol to the best female newscaster. In December 2006 she received the Orquídea award to the best female newsreader in Miami.
In October 2007 she won a "special mention" in the category for best TV feature or report at the Premio Nacional de Periodismo Simón Bolívar. In November 2007, Corzo shared, with psychiatrist Lucrecia Ramírez, marine biologist Sandra Bessudo, and golfer María José Uribe, a TAG Heuer-sponsored acknowledgement.
In 2007 Silvia joined a campaign to raise breast cancer awareness, with another Colombian television personalities. In two interviews, Corzo said she joined the campaign because three of her relatives had suffered it. During that same year, she developed the chronic fatigue syndrome, condition of which Corzo was able to overcome very quickly.
Corzo stated in an interview that she left Noticias Caracol early 2008 because her son asked her to spend more time with him, and that the network was understanding and supportive of her decision. She stood with the network as a legal adviser / lawyer, presented the Noticias Caracol 12:30 newscast plus Código Caracol on weeknights, the En todo su derecho section on weekends, and continued co-hosting Séptimo día on sundays. In May 2010 she answered a short interview as a part of the special edition Celebrity Moms issued by the colombian version of Playboy magazine.
However at the year end, and to avoid a CFS relapse she took a leave of 2 months. At this time she also was treated for kidney stones. In 2011, she took a brief rest before her debut on Noticias Uno.
In November 2012, Silvia participated in a special bikeway parade sponsored by the United Nations's campaign on violence against women, in which were invited several female celebrities of the Colombian show business.
- (Spanish) El Frente, Candidatas Concurso Señorita Santander 1995, 14 September 1995
- (Spanish) Vanguardia Liberal, Silvia es la Princesa*, 18 September 1995
- (Spanish) Silvia Corzo Fan Club Entrevista exclusiva con Silvia Corzo, 28 September 2005
- (Spanish) El Tiempo (Colombia), "Una mujer con suerte", 14 January 2003
- (Spanish) Censura TV, Silvia Corzo, más cotizada que nunca, 12 March 2008
- Caracol TV (2009-04-18). "Noticias Caracol del fin de semana se lanzó al agua con nuevo formato" (in Spanish).
- (Spanish) El Tiempo, La jugada de Silvia Corzo, 3 November 2009
- Corzo, Silvia (15 March 2011). "Quiero compartirles que he aceptado la responsabilidad de reemplazar a María Cristina Uribe en Noticias Uno a partir de junio...". Twitter.
- "Silvia Corzo se va este viernes del Canal Caracol". El Espectador. 27 April 2011.
- "Emisión Junio 04 de 2011". Noticias Uno. 4 June 2011.
- (Spanish) INTE Awards Official Website
- (Spanish) Lista de premiados - Premios Orquídea USA 2006
- (Spanish) El Tiempo, Cinco premios Simón Bolívar a EL TIEMPO, 10 October 2007
- (Spanish) TAG Heuer, Colombia eligió a las 4 Mujeres TAG Heuer, November 2007
- (Spanish) Capital Club, Colombia eligió a las cuatro mujeres TAG Heuer, November 2007
- (Spanish) Caracol TV Se casó Silvia Corzo (video), 30 January 2007
- (Spanish) Aló, La separación de Silvia Corzo, 25 July 2008
- (Spanish) Liga Colombiana contra el Cáncer, En el "Partido por la vida" el gran perdedor fue el cáncer de mama, October 2007
- (Spanish) Caracol Radio, Silvia Corso (sic) cuenta detalles del partido de futbol de mujeres para apoyar la lucha contra el cancer de seno, 28 September 2007
- (Spanish) Sandra Cardona, Revista Nueva, Silvia Corzo: una santandereana... todo terreno, 20 October 2007
- (Spanish) Revista Salud Coomeva No. 89, "Prevención Síndrome de Fatiga Crónica", October - November 2009
- (Spanish) Manuel Rincón Prada, El Tiempo, Pablito, su hijo, le dio la vuelta a la vida de Silvia, 21 February 2008 (free registration needed)
- (Spanish) Mauricio Nieto, Playboy Colombia «Silvia Corzo», Vol. 1, Num. 26, May 2010, pp. 4, 18, ISSN 2011-3935
- (Spanish) El Tiempo, Fuera de las Pantallas, 3 November 2010
- (Spanish) TVyNovelas «Se recupera», Ed. 22-26, Num. 578, 18–31 December 2010, p. 10, ISSN 0121-7275
- (Spanish) Ciclovía en contra de la violencia hacia las mujeres. Terra Noticias, 23 de noviembre de 2012
- (Spanish) Ciclovía en Bogotá para rechazar violencia contra las mujeres. El Tiempo, 21 de noviembre de 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silvia Corzo.|
- (Spanish) Profile - Séptimo día
- (Spanish) Profile - Séptimo día (gentv)
- Twitter profile
- (Spanish) Silvia Corzo Fan Club