Simon Gratz High School
Simon Gratz High School
|Location||3901–3961 N. 18th St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|Area||2.6 acres (1.1 ha)|
|Architect||Irwin T. Catharine|
|Architectural style||Late Gothic Revival|
|MPS||Philadelphia Public Schools TR|
|NRHP Reference #||88002276|
|Added to NRHP||April 10, 1989|
Simon Gratz High School is a secondary school located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S. An inner-city school, it is perhaps best known for its famous alumni (listed below). Originally a public school directly operated by the School District of Philadelphia, Gratz has been operated as a charter school by Mastery Charter since September 2011. Students from the previous public school's enrollment area are eligible to attend. It is the fifth Philadelphia high school operated by Mastery.
Situated at the southeast corner of the intersection of 18th St. & Hunting Park Ave., its address is 1798 Hunting Park Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19140.
In October 2011, the school was listed as "persistently dangerous" under federal guidelines, even though the school was under new management.
- George J. Alexander, Dean Emeritus of Santa Clara Law School
- Roy Campanella, MLB player
- Roderick Coleman, NFL player
- Mardy Collins, NBA player
- Eddie Fisher, singer
- William H. Gray, III, U.S. Congressman and CEO, United Negro College Fund
- Grayson Hall, television, film and stage actress
- Edwin L. Hymovitz, classical composer and pianist
- Leroy Kelly, NFL player
- Joan Little, activist
- Aaron McKie, NBA player and coach
- Nathan Milstein, virtuoso violinist
- Neef Buck, rapper
- Lobo Nocho, émigré jazz singer and painter in Europe
- Aaron Owens, streetball player
- Harvey Pollack, NBA statistician
- Ivan Robinson, professional boxer
- Artie Singer, songwriter, music producer and bandleader
- Lynard Stewart, professional basketball player
- Meldrick Taylor, 1984 Olympic gold medalist
- Rasheed Wallace, NBA player
- Young Chris, rapper
- Earl Watford, NFL player
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Graduate Housing." Temple University. Retrieved on October 2, 2011. "The Triangle Apartment Complex is located on the 1900 block of North Broad Street and the 1400 block of West Norris Street on the Main Campus."
- Zankey, Maria. "Family matters." The Temple News. March 23, 2010. Retrieved on October 2, 2011.
- "Main Campus Map." (Image) Temple University. Retrieved on October 2, 2011.
- "Simon Gratz Geographic Boundaries." (Archive) School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on October 2, 2011.
- "Philly Man Serving in Canadian Army". The Afro American. 1942-06-09. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Musician and Songwriter Arthur Singer Dies at 89". Jewish Exponent. Retrieved 5 August 2009.