Simon Larbalestier (born 1962 in Pembrokeshire, UK) is an English photographer.
Larbalestier is noted for his collaborative work with Vaughan Oliver and the design studios 23 Envelope and v23 with whom he has provided photography used on album artwork for bands such as the Pixies, Red House Painters, Heidi Berry and other artists on the 4AD label. Much of the pair's collaborative work has been featured in the book Vaughan Oliver: Visceral Pleasures. His work has featured on many magazine covers for New Scientist and book covers for the publishers Random House and Secker & Warburg.
Graduating with a Masters of Art from the Royal College of Art, London in 1987, Larbalestier has described his final degree show as a turning point. Some of the images from this show became album artwork for the first Pixies EP Come On Pilgrim. Larbalestier went on to shoot images for all the Pixies albums notably Surfer Rosa, Doolittle and Bossanova providing a distinctive and influential imagery for the band. Larbalestier has had many solo and group exhibitions in Britain, Europe, Scandinavia and USA. His work during the 1990s and 2000s has included several landscape series of Italy, the USA and Australia and several documentary series on Thailand, Cambodia and other areas of South East Asia.
Larbalestier's work is predominantly black and white with subsequent toning added in the darkroom. More recently he has been producing digital images and working with strong colour. He retains an interest in decayed textures and unusual juxtapositions of subject matter as well as "empty spaces, desolation and loneliness". His documentary series shot in Angkor Wat and Siem Reap deals strongly with the human condition through portraits and atmospheric images of vacant rooms and landscapes and details of possessions revealing how people live.
- Vaughan Oliver: Visceral Pleasures, Booth-Clibborn Editions, London, 2000
- Simon Larbalestier, Pixies and Life Beyond, C International Photo Magazine, Issue 8 www.ivorypress.com
- Neil Chenery, Interview with Simon Larbalestier Online interview
- Jim Algie, The Big Picture - Audio Visuals, Farang Magazine, July 2003
- Alisa McWhinnie, Between Two Worlds, Black and White Photography, Issue 35, July 2004, The Guild of Master Craftsman Publications Ltd.
- Artists in Residence, Santa Monica, California, USA, 2009.www.ainr.com