28 October 1957 |
|Education||Bachelor of Theology (B.Theol)
Pontifical Urbaniana University
Masters in Bibilical Theology (M.Theol)
Pontifical Urbaniana University, Rome, Italy
|Years active||2006 — Present|
|Title||State Minister for Ethics & Integrity in the Office of the President|
The Right Reverend Father Simon Lokodo is a Ugandan former catholic priest and politician. He is the current State Minister for Ethics & Integrity in the Office of the President in the Ugandan Cabinet. He was appointed to that position on 27 May 2011. He replaced Nsaba Buturo, who was dropped from the Cabinet. Prior to that, he served as the State Minister for Industry from February 2009 until May 2011. He is also the elected Member of Parliament (MP), representing "Dodoth County", Kaabong District. He was first elected to that position on June 29, 2006.
Simon Lokodo holds the degree of Bachelor of Arts (BA), in Theology from the Pontifical Urbaniana University. His Master of Arts (MA) in Theology was also obtained from the University of Rome. Also from the same university, he was awarded the Diploma in Rural Sociology, the Diploma in Social Communication, the Diploma in Philosophy & Social Science and the Certificate in the Italian Language. He obtained his Diploma in Theology from Makerere University, Uganda's oldest university; founded in 1922. Lokodo also holds a Certificate in the German Language obtained from an institution in Austria and a Certificate in the French Language, obtained from an institution in Paris, France.
Lokodo first entered politics in June 2006, at the age of 49 years, to contest in a special election where the incumbent Member of Parliament had died of natural causes. Prior to that he was the Parish Priest for Kaabong Parish in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Kotido. He won the special election and went to represent Dodoth County, Kaabong District, in the Ugandan Parliament. Two and half years later, in February 2009, he was appointed to the Cabinet as the Minister of State for Industry & Technology. In the cabinet reshuffle of 27 May 2011, he was relocated to the Ethics & Integrity portfolio.
He is well known for his unequivocal position to fight homosexuality in all forms and recently even raided with the Police, a gay activist workshop where participants were arrested. He immediately blamed foreigners saying "they should go home" and that " He does not support bestiality and lesbianism". Amnesty International condemned the raid. According to the article, he closed down a workshop aimed at Ugandan homosexuals "because it's [homosexuality is] illegal".
Father Simon Lokodo is single. He reportedly enjoys reading, participating in sports, debating and traveling. He belongs to the National Resistance Movement political party. He is reported to speak and write fluent Karamojong, English, Italian, French, German and Spanish.
- Website of the Parliament of Uganda
- Website of the State House of Uganda
- Full Ministerial Cabinet List, June 2006
- Full Ministerial Cabinet List, February 2009
- Full Ministerial Cabinet List, May 2011
- Museveni Names New Cabinet, May 2011
- Fr. Simon Lokodo First Appointed To Cabinet In February 2009
- Simon Lokodo Was State Minister for Industry & Technology In September 2009
- Simon Lokodo Elected to Parliament on June 29, 2006
- Simon Lokodo Was Born in October 1957
- The Academic Record of Simon Lokodo
- Catholic Priest Contests for Parliamentary Seat
- Simon Lokodo Appointed Minister of State on February 16, 2009
- "Uganda gay workshop raided by ethics minister Lokodo". BBC News. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- Profile of Father Simon Lokodo