|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Shahid Malik|
2 March 1966 |
West Riding of Yorkshire, England
|Residence||Kirkburton, West Yorkshire|
|Alma mater||Manchester Metropolitan University, Lincoln's Inn|
Simon Justin Reevell (born 2 March 1966) is a British barrister and Conservative Party politician. He has been Member of Parliament (MP) for Dewsbury in West Yorkshire since winning the seat at the 2010 election.
Early life and career
Reevell was born and raised in the West Riding of Yorkshire. After attending Manchester Polytechnic and obtaining a degree in Economics, he embarked on a career in the army as an infantry officer, but this was cut short by injury. As a result he decided to train as a barrister and represented many members of the armed forces before courts-martial. One case, in which Reevell established that members of the TA were sent to Iraq without adequate training, led him to do all that he could to change the government – which led to him standing to be an MP for Dewsbury at the 2010 general election.
Currently based in chambers in Leeds, he still practises in general criminal law, specialising in defending service personnel at courts-martial both in the UK and abroad, taking on the occasional case alongside his role as MP for Dewsbury. Reevell has stated that: “I practice to a limited extent as a barrister where my time allows. I work as an MP for all the time which that role demands. Everyone has spare time and if I spend that time working as a barrister, I don’t see anything wrong with that." The backbencher added that he was not neglecting his Parliamentary duties. He said: “There’s no actual suggestion that this has any impact on my work as an MP. No-one ever says ‘this guy is failing to do this aspect of his job properly’."
MP for Dewsbury
Reevell was selected to represent the Conservative Party in Dewsbury at the 2010 general election. He won the seat from Labour with a small majority of 1,526 (2.8%) resulting in a 7.8% swing to the Conservatives from Shahid Malik. It was the first time the seat of Dewsbury had been won by a Conservative MP since that of John Whitfield in the 1983 general election, making Simon only the second Conservative MP since 1922 to win what has historically been a safe Labour seat.
Since taking up his position as MP for Dewsbury Reevell has held regular street surgeries on the first and third Saturday of every month at venues across his constituency. He also holds a regular Friday and Monday surgery. As MP for Dewsbury Simon oversaw unemployment fall in the constituency by 45% and youth unemployment by 52% between 2010-2014.
In May 2013 Reevell was re-selected to represent the Conservative Party in Dewsbury at the 2015 general election. He said; “I am very flattered to have been re-selected as its candidate and am determined to continue working hard for Dewsbury’s constituents."
In 2014 it was revealed that Reevell was after the speaker of the house of commons John Bercow the most long-winded speaker in parliament, contributing an average of 460 words every time he speaks. Reevell said: “You get a lot of MPs who say things like ‘does my honourable friend agree that tomorrow is Thursday? I don’t do that. When I contribute to a debate it’s an actual speech in which I make serious points."
He is married to Louise, who is also a barrister. He plays tennis and is interested in late Victorian oil paintings, classic cars and military history. Reevell is a church warden and is an active supporter of the RNLI, Help for Heroes and Dog's Trust.
- The London Gazette: . 13 May 2010. Retrieved 16 February 2011.
- "Simon Reevell". conservatives.com. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Simon Reevell - Barrister - 39 Park Square". 39 Park Square. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Revealed: Dewsbury MP Simon Reevell earned £64,000 as a part-time barrister in 2011". Huddersfield Examiner. 27 February 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Election 2010 - Constituency - Dewsbury". BBC News. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "E-Surgery". simonreevell.com. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Simon Reevell MP to fight for re-election". Mirfield Reporter. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- Atkinson, Neil (12 August 2014). "Dewsbury MP Simon Reevell manages to cram in 14,000 words in just 17 debates over four years - but is he the top of the talkers at the House of Commons?". Huddersfield Examiner. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "I’m not a windbag and I can prove it! -- The Press Newspaper - The Intelligent Weekly". The Press News. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Local MPs". Huddersfield Conservative Future. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Dewsbury