Simon W. Rosendale
|Simon Wolfe Rosendale|
June 23, 1842|
Albany, New York
|Died||April 22, 1937
Albany, New York
He was born on June 23, 1842 in Albany, New York.
He graduated from Barre Academy. Then he studied law at the office of Courtney & Cassidy in Albany. He was admitted to the New York State Bar Association in 1863, and became an assistant district attorney of Albany County, New York. In 1868, he was elected Recorder of Albany, and held that office for four years. From 1878 to 1881, he was Corporation Counsel of Albany. In 1881 he formed a partnership with Rufus Wheeler Peckham, and after Peckham's election to the state bench, he continued his law practice with Albert Hessberg.
In 1895, he published The Involution of Wampum as Currency: the Story Told By the Colonial Ordinances of New Netherland, 1641-1662.
Governor Theodore Roosevelt appointed him in 1899 to the State Board of Charities, a post he held for 18 years.
In 1919, he was one of 31 prominent Jews who signed an Anti-Zionist Memorandum given to President Woodrow Wilson, to be presented to the Versailles Peace Conference, stating their opinion against the foundation of a Jewish state in Palestine.
He died on April 22, 1937 in Albany, New York at age 94.
For ten years was president of the court of appeals of the Order of B'nai B'rith. He was for a number of years a member of the executive board of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations. He was Chairman of the convention in Philadelphia in 1888, at which the Jewish Publication Society of America was organized, and was a vice-president of the American Jewish Historical Society.
- "Simon W. Rosendale". Jewish Encyclopedia. 1906. Retrieved 2012-10-10. "American lawyer; born at Albany, N. Y., June 23, 1842; graduated from Barre Academy, Vermont. He was admittedto the bar in 1863, and shortly thereafter became assistant district attorney of Albany county. In 1868 he was elected recorder of Albany, which judicial position he held for four years. ..."
- Full text of the memorandum in the Palestine Encyclopedia, Rosendale is listed as signer no. 3
- Chapter 6: Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem
- The Political Graveyard: Index to Politicians: Rosenberger to Rosenstengel
- Jewish Encyclopedia profile
- ALBANY ASKS A JUSTICE in NYT on September 4, 1895 [gives wrong birth year]
- AFTER EIGHTY GOOD YEARS in NYT on June 25, 1922
- Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle obituary
- Obit on page 18, read at the annual meeting of the Jewish Publication Society
- Complete List of NYS Attorneys General
Charles F. Tabor
|New York State Attorney General
Theodore E. Hancock