Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days
|Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days|
|Directed by||Aiyana Elliott|
|Produced by||Aiyana Elliott
|Studio||Raw for Thirty, LLC|
|Running time||88 minutes|
The film follows six diabetics, who eat nothing but raw vegan food for a period of 30 days. Their progress and health are monitored by a team of medics. The film shows all six participants demonstrating reduced insulin dependence and blood-sugar levels. Interviews with celebrities such as Woody Harrelson, Morgan Spurlock and Tony Robbins, discussing the benefits of a raw food diet, also feature in the documentary.
- Michael Beckwith
- Gabriel Cousens
- Joel Fuhrman
- Woody Harrelson
- John Picken
- Anthony Robbins
- Morgan Spurlock
- Fred Bisci
- Helen Ross
- David Wolfe
Raw foods advocate Michael Bedar was inspired to create Simply Raw after a meeting with raw food advocate Gabriel Cousens in 2003. The entire project took place at Cousen's Tree of Life Rejouvenation Centre, under Cousen's direction. It received funding from the Movement to Reverse Diabetes Naturally (RDN).
DVD Talk noted the film as "inspiring for demonstrating what can be achieved through extreme diet modification", but cautioned that as healthful as a dietary change could be, "the practical application of this documentary is limited because few American diabetics would be willing to so radically alter their conventional diets rich in meat, processed food, and empty calories even if the benefit for doing so is a healthy, longer life."
- Neilson, Chris (March 3, 2009). "DVD review: Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days". DVD Talk. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- Johnson, Carolyn (June 8, 2011). "Group says raw vegan diet can help treat diabetes". ABC News. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- Johanna Boyle. "‘Vegan’ diet offers opportunities to deal with illness". The Mining Journal. Retrieved 28th March 2012.
- Jim Welte. "San Rafael man touts raw food in new documentary". Marin Independent Journal. Retrieved 28th March 2012.
- "The Movement to Reverse Diabetes Naturally Announces Reversing Diabetes Action Day Slated for April 25, 2009". Retrieved 28th March 2008.