A computer simulation language describes the operation of a simulation on a computer. There are two major types of simulation: continuous and discrete event though more modern languages can handle more complex combinations most languages also have a graphical interface and at least a simple statistic gathering capability for the analysis of the results. An important part of discrete-event languages is the ability to generate pseudo-random numbers and variants from different probability distributions. Examples are:
- Discrete event simulation languages, viewing the model as a sequence of random events each causing a change in state.
- AutoMod - Simulating Reality
- ExtendSim - Simulation software for discrete event, continuous, discrete rate and agent-based simulation**GPSS
- Simio software for discrete event, continuous, and agent-based simulation.
- SimPy, an open-source package based on Python
- SIMSCRIPT II.5, a well established commercial compiler
- jEQN a Domain Specific Language for M&S of Queueing Networks
- Continuous simulation languages, viewing the model essentially as a set of differential equations.
- Hybrid, and other.
- LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim, simulation platform to model and analyze multi-domain systems and predict their performances
- Flowmaster V7 Software for the analysis of fluid mechanics within pipe networks using 1D Computational Fluid Dynamics
- AnyLogic multi-method simulation tool, which supports System dynamics, Discrete event simulation, Agent-based modeling
- Modelica, open-standard object-oriented language for modeling of complex physical systems
- EcosimPro Language (EL) - Continuous modeling with discrete events
- VHDL-AMS - Continuous conservative/signal flow discreent event and Register transfer level capability. It simulates control, logic, and physical effects in different engineering domains (hydraulic, electronic, mechanical, thermal, etc.). It is derived from the VHDL language.
- Verilog-AMS - Continuous conservative/signal flow discreent event and Register transfer level capability. It simulates control, logic, and physical effects in different engineering domains (hydraulic, electronic, mechanical, thermal, etc.). It is derived from the Verilog language.
- SeSAm Multiagent simulator and graphical modelling environment. (Free Software)
- SimulationX, standard simulation software for valuation of the interaction of all components in multiphysics systems
- Simulink - Continuous and discrete event capability
- Scicos - Continuous-time, discrete-time and event based simulation tool distributed with ScicosLab. It contains a block diagram editor, a compiler, simulator and code generation facilities. Free software.
- SPICE - Analog circuit simulation
- Scilab contains a simulation package called Xcos
- XMLlab - simulations with XML
- Flexsim - 3D process simulation software for continuous, discrete event, or agent-based systems.
- EICASLAB - Continuous, discrete and discrete event capability specifically devoted to support the automatic control design.
- TRUE (Temporal Reasoning Universal Elaboration) Discrete and continuous capability, + 3D Modeler (3D Rendering using OpenGL graphics library) + Procedural animation
- EJS, an environment to automatically generate Java code for simulations from its own language (XML files)
- Netlogo NetLogo is a programmable multi-agent modeling environment.
- ExtendSim simulation environment for discrete event, continuous, discrete-rate and agent-based simulation.
- [dead link]
- "Flowmaster V7 – Fluid Flow Software for Pipe Flow Analysis, Pipe Pressure drop calculation, Surge analysis software Pipe flow Modelling, Pipe Flow Simulation using Rapid Transient fluid system solver to design out water hammer. 1D Computational Fluid Dynamics software (CFD) with Heat Transfer Modelling". Flowmaster.com. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "Modelica and the Modelica Association — Modelica Association". Modelica.org. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- Deutscher Tele Markt GmbH - Internetagentur. "Introduction". Itisim.com. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "XMLlab, Labs with XML". xmllab.org. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "FlexSim Simulation Software - Best Simulation Software for Manufacturing, Material Handling, Healthcare, Packaging, and Logistics". Flexsim.com. Retrieved 2013-04-29.
- "TRUE-WORLD System Dynamics Software : Temporal Reasoning Universal Elaboration". True-world.com. 2013-11-21. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "ExtendSim Simulation Software by Imagine That Inc". Extendsim.com. Retrieved 2013-04-29.